1/2" square drive to 1/4"

I want to use my 1/2" pneumatic impact wrench on some Phillips screws.

I have some quality WERA Phillips No.2 bits which are the standards 1/4" hex bits.

Anybody know of an 1/2" square (female) to 1/4" hex (female) adapter .... or even 3/8" square to 1/4" hex as I have 1/2 - 3/8 adapters

Obviously I would prefer something quality or it won't take the 'thumps' from the impact driver ... but does not have to be an impact socket.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I've got a 3/8" square to 1/4" bit holder as part of a Teng Tools socket set (Mini Rosso 3/8" set)

Reply to
dom

You can do it in three stages: F1/2"/ M3/8" into F3/8"/M1/4" + 1/4" socket. The 1/4" socket will hold your 1/4" bit(s).

This set contains the adapters but you'll need to source the 1/4" socket to take the bit:

Cicero

Phil Jessop

For what you want to do it could work out as cheap, and certainly more robust, to buy some 1/2" impact driver bits. I've got a few adapters of various sizes some from Toolstation, Screwfix and some as part of Teng socket sets. All suffer from lash to some extent making it difficult to get the bits accurately in position. The 1/2" set of bits that I bought (i.e. 1/2" sockets with a bit permanently mounted covering a range of Philips, Pozidrove, Square drive, Torx and security screws) are much sounder in use, particularly if using with a pneumatic driver or impact wrench.

Actually at the moment I'm cursing having left all of the air tools in Italy. I've had to rebuild the front end steering knuckles/brakes/bearings on a truck by hand. Some of the screws and bolts were difficult to get at but a piece of cake using air tools.

This set includes the adapter you're after:

the adapter, which costs almost as much:

it isn't available.

Or there's this:

which you will also need 1/2" -> 3/8" and 3/8" -> 1/4" adapters.

Hmm and after much searching:

Steve Firth

A simple 1/2" drive 1/4" AF socket? But of course this won't hold the bit

- but you could use a bit holder in it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wrong gender .... ratchet is 1/2" male fitting ....... so I need socket with 1/2" female to 1/4" hex

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Yes: its called a 1/4" socket. Put some blue tack in the narrow end to stop the bits from dropping out.

spamlet

for Phillips & Pozi heads.

I'll dig out my WERA catalogue

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Used that previoulsy, but lots of play and it all gets 'sloppy' in use.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That is what I do now ... but too much play in the the set up, reduces efficiency of impact wrench ... hence looking for neater way.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

If it's that sloppy, cut some shims from a tin can (or try metric/BS etc sockets until you get a tighter one.).. Blue tack holds the bits in. I've done it this way for years and have also made a long extension to use 1/4" driven sockets, by sawing off the angled end of an Allen key and squaring off one end. I've been using this method with my old 1/2" impact driver - the kind you actually hammer - for many years. At a pinch you can also get a spanner on the square end for extra leverage.

spamlet