ring magnet for driver bit

It was time for new batteries for my Panasonic driver and as you know you might as well buy the whole kit as it isn't much more expensive. This time I picked up the little 12v impact driver. Sweet!! Anyway the impact tends to dent the driver bits so I don't want to use my magnetic bit holders. They are redundant anyway as the driver has it's own little chuck. I've found that 2" bits work for me but they aren't magnetized. This isn't a problem for Roberts screws but is a pain with anything else. Plus I use the magnet to pick up dropped screws etc. I remember seeing little magnetic rings that slide over the bits in some catalogue but now can't find them. Anybody remember which one? Magnetizing the bit alone isn't strong enough for anything but tiny screws.

And a heads up to anyone with one of these impact drivers. Pull the bit and check it frequently because the pounding will deform the base to the extent that it's hard to remove from the chuck. This applies especially to the two part bits with the hard tips. Like the ones McFeeley sells. (Note to the McFeeley person who monitors this list)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike:

We sell the ring magnets you describe: Part JMR-0001 at $10.95, see page 12 of current catalog, or check the website.

I am surprised by your comment concerning the driver bits and impact drivers. I have driven lots and lots of screws using a Makita impact gun, and never had the problem you describe. I can't honestly say that I have driven them all with one bit though (highly unlikely given the number of bits in my toolbox), but I haven't even had a hint of the problem, even on days when that is all I am doing - with big screws. If you have a bit that has given you problems, I'd appreciate the opportunity to look at it. We'll even send a replacement or two for your trouble.Just send them to my attention.

Thanks,

Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws

Jim

This shouldn't happen with good quality bits. I use an MP gun (pneumatic impact driver) every day at work to drive self-drilling screws into steel. Most of the bits I use are Atex and I haven't had any trouble with them. I do have one cheapo 1/4" hex to 3/8" square drive adapter from Homier that I use occasionally--it sticks in the chuck every time.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

I was going to say McFeeleys, but i was beaten to it. Got mine a couple of weeks ago, and love it. I mostly use mine for driving pocket hole screws.

Eric

Reply to
Eric & Crystal