High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Page 3 of 6
On 07 Jun 2008 02:27:56 GMT, Puckdropper

ESPECIALLY Lie Nielsen!
On 02 Jun 2008 19:54:29 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

When I saw my first aticle about biscuit joining I decided to try the Freud as a kind of Proof Of Concept.
It worked well enough that I bought a Lamello.
That was almost two decades ago and I still have the Lamello.
They've changed the name to a Top 10, or some such, but that original Lamello still works like it did on the day I got it.
There used to be a guy who posted here and his sig was, "buy the best and only cry once" - he had the right idea.
Regards,
Tom
Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

And, what kind of improvement did you see with the Lamello? My first and only biscuit joiner was and is a Freud. However, in the fifteen or so years I've had it, I doubt it's been used more than five times, so it's not as if I need one that would offer greater capability.
wrote in message

From every thing I have read it is a fine piece of machinery that does exactly what it is suppose to do. In contrast many other lesser brands make inconsistent thickness cuts.
Hi all (especially Ed P.)
So, everyone (except one Harbor Fraught fan) seems to agree that getting a high-end biscuit joiner is the way to go.
So now, does anybody have some hands-on info on how the better biscuit joiners compare?
The Porter Cable, and DeWalt are what I'm looking at so far...anyothers in that price range ($200 - yeah, if I had the $$ I would be looking a the Lamello) I should consider?
How do the PC and DeWalt compare in performance and features?
TIA -Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com

The PC can do more than the DeWalt. Bote are top notch machines. FYI and IMHO for the price of the Lamello you can get a Festool Domino and it is a far superior fastening system.

For one, the PC will make far smaller slots for face frame applications and it's fence IMHO is more adaptive.
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

Is the Lamello that expensive? I bought a Makita (very happy with it, by the way, solid and accurate little machine) and found out a month later that I could've bought a Lamello at the same price (~$280 US),albeit on a special, at a different store. That was years ago, mind.
Festool, here, doesn't even start at twice that money.
-Peter
says...

For the bare bones model it is cheap but IIRC several years ago the "regular" Lamello was north of $600.

I don't, not with the Festool Domino recently on the market. Take a look at their video and then see if you still want/need a high end biscuit joiner ~ or any biscuit joiner for that matter.
http://www.festoolusa.com/pages.aspx?docidU3

Okay, sorry if I wasn't clear...I should have said
"Everyone seems to agree that a higher end joining system is the way to go." Since the main factor of price was indicated in my note about the $200 Range and would rule out the Lamello, the Domino etc.
Yes, I still want a biscuit joiner until such time as I can afford other options.
Oh, and none of this means that I don't think the Domino is an impressive system....just that it is outside my current budget. -Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com
"Chef Juke" wrote:

Just to stir up the pot a little bit.
I don't do enough biscuit work to justify the expense of a dedicated biscuit joiner.
Solution:
A router, a slot cutter bit, and a straight bit for "T" joints.
WFM
YMMV
Definitely a lot less money.
Lew
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 04:32:03 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

-Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 04:32:03 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Fair enough...but my situation is....I *DO* expect to be doing more biscuit work in the not too distant future and would like to have a decent joiner to use for it. Like one of the earlier posters, I have a Ryobi that has been a bit frustrating in that it does not seem to be as accurate as I would like (and expected...seems like a repeatable 90 degree slot should be the main function of a BJ) and I have had to deal with some less than adequate joints because of it.
While I do have routers and a slot cutter bit might be able to create the slots needed, I don't think it will come near the ease of use of a decent biscuit joiner. -Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com
"Chef Juke" wrote:

So dedicate a slot cutter to one of your routers and test it out.
Might be surprised with the results.
Lew

Consider also that to do face cuts in the middle of a wide panel you will need a Plate Joiner over the router and slot cutter bit. Think shelves being attached to the sides of a cabinet.
"Leon" wrote:

The straight bit solves that problem.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

Good for you. 1 - I reckon I'm nowhere near good enough with a router to do     that; plus routers scare the shit out of me. 2 - I use the bisquit joiner a LOT. And once you get really     used to the little beastie and develop procedures, it's     just so damn fast, and safe with it ... put it down     anywhere immediately you finish the cuts without thinkig     about spinning bits. I like that ;-D
-P.
"Peter Huebner" wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem to me<G>.

No question about it, unless you dedicate a router /w/ a slot cutter to a set-up, it can be a PITA to set up for a couple of biscuits.
It becomes a matter of convenience.
Lew

That's why you do it in the router table.

I like my PC, but have not used the others that you mention so have no basis for comparison.
I really liked my Delta stationary (most probably don't know it existed) but I shared one with a colleague and he took it to Jackson, TN, when he moved. And it was discontinued long ago. It was not good for long stock, but for average length boards was more accurate and stable than the portables. To be really good, it needed the clamps to be both quick adjust and lever quick clamp. Rather than make that improvement, it was discontinued.
Frank