High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Ditto the above which is why I buy Festool etc. I figure if I'm spending the kids inheritance they at least deserve a decent estate sale ;) Well, atleast thats how I deal with my conscience...

Reply to
cruzurr

Yeah... Do you think that the SUV would not ever be equipped with the same setup? If the SUV is a fad you are probably right but if people want SUV's the natural evolution of the SUV would be to go electric also.

Reply to
Leon

I recall those predictions in the 70's also. I think the Toyota Tundra had a lot to do with the F150's short falls also. Ford did not stop selling cars when the F150 was on top.

All the Detroit woes are from piss poor contracts with the Unions through out the last several decades. Toyota is not hurting nearly as bad and I keep seeing more and more Toyota trucks and SUV's all the time. BTY I just filled my Tundra with the 5.7 L engine, and got 15.4 MPG in strictly city driving. ;~) Now I will grant you that there were far too many people driving large vehicles that they should not have been driving in the first place. Watching the news a few nights ago a young guy in his early 30's was troubled because his 2002 Explorer cost him $80 every 3 days to fill up. Trade value was $3500 which was 1/2 KBB. He owes $8500. There is more of a ptoblem with his situation than rising fuel costs.

  1. He apparently had a 7+ year loan.
  2. He drives at least 1500 miles per month and probably has 108,000 miles on the vehicle.
  3. No one was riding with him to work.

He did not do the math in the first place. Even at $40 to fill up every 3 days he was driving too much vehicle for his needs.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly.

Reply to
Leon

Why would you f**k up good vehicles for a specialty application?

Isn't that why specialty vehicle rental businesses exist?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No that is why people will continue to buy trucks and SUV's instead of for the status symbol that they think that they are getting. What's funny are those status symbols being left in the driveway, screaming look at my big expensive vehicle that I cannot afford to drive.

GM, Ford, Chrysler had all the data to see this coming. When you have to offer a 7 to 8 year loan so that the customer can afford to buy the vehicle this should be an indicator of things to come if the economy only slows up a little.

Reply to
Leon

Fifth wheel hitches are easily removed and re-installed, so a pickup isn't f'd up at all. I use mine to haul lumber, help folks move, go to da dump, etc. Since it's a diesel, it gets 21mpg highway - 14.5 towing a 6 ton fifth wheel. And supposedly since it burns the low sulfer diesel and biodiesel mixes, it's more environmentally friendly than many gasoline vehicles.

Because renting a diesel truck for all of the above uses isn't my choice

- I'd rather own than rent.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

...and besides, I've yet to see diesel trucks with fifth wheel hitches for rent.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

They won't be at the same location as the car rentals, but they can be found.

Ryder, Hertz, and Penske rent them in my area, as does the occasional used truck dealer. Typically, they're based on dualie pickups.

I know a classic race car tuner that rents them to tow his goosenecks to races 8-10 times a year. He owns two goosenecks and two 53' haulers, one pickup and no tractors. On race weekends it all needs to go, so he rents. Of course, the truck will probably be YELLOW, with Scotchlight lettering all over it! He's got these cool, custom race trailers behind a yellow and blue striped rented truck! I used to buy used trucks from a large local Ryder depot, they had everything from beer/soda trucks, to tankers, to cherry pickers, even school busses and sweepers.

**
**

B A R R Y

Oh, the never ending battle of need and wants. Anyone can argue their position easily by pointing out a particular situation and real need. Then there is reality. Yes some do haul big trailers, yes, some to haul big equipment, but then yes, some do haul a gallon of milk and take Suzy to dance lessons and nothing more.

In many counties major construction projects take place every day and don't use the big trucks like we have. Many families pile into the Smart or Fiat and head off to vacation. Fact is, most of us don't "want" to do that and we're willing to pay for the pleasure.

When I go to Europe, I rent a small car because it is economical ($8 to $10 a gallon now) and the rental cost on a large car is very high and I'm not willing to pay an extra $400 a week. At $4 I'm still driving my V-6 big car, but at some point I may change my mind.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sure, but we all have our budgets...

I might WANT to get a Rolls-Royce (okay, not really, but for arguments sake) but may only have the budget for a lexus.

I've definitely checked out the Festools at my local Woodcraft and maybe someday I will upgrade that direction.

In the meantime I have managed to put together the start of what I hope to be fairly decent powe tool collection for my shop.

2 porter cable routers (690 and a 7518 Speedmatic mounted to a cast iron router table extension on my ridgid table saw) A small bosch colt router Delta 10" drill press And a number of other assorted and sundry power tools which I plan to upgrade over time as budget allows.

Right now the mounted speedmatic is the powertool I use most (aside from my cordless drills (Makita and Ryobi litium), and it makes wonderful quick work of dadoes even in oak. Just got a katana cabinet making set of bits and will be seeing how my setup works for panel work.

As I expect to make a number of new bookcases and cabinets for my house in the near future, the biscuit joiner upgrade will probably be my next and from the feedback and what I have experienced with my other Porter-Cable tools, I think I will lean in that direction.

Thanks everyone for your input and feedback...

-Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"

Chef Juke

I worked for many, many years wanting to do the RV thing. Now that I've worked and waited and finally realized my wants/hopes in retirement, I'll be damned if some enviro freaks will tell me I need to abandon the exploring and enjoyment of our country and sit on my not quite yet fat ass.

I use my vehicles in a responsible manner and for the proper purpose - I don't drive the tow vehicle to the grocery store nor do I try to tow the RV with the high mileage underpowered rice burner.

To answer your question, yes I NEED to explore this land before I croak. Before I was capable time wise and financially, I WANTED to do this when I geezed out, so now I am.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

"Leon" wrote in news:pAY1k.3744$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

That's exactly why I have a Prius and an F250. The Prius is my daily vehicle, while the F250 is the "go get something big" vehicle. I'll put two or three tanks of gas in my Prius before I fill up the F250.

The math said the Prius would pay for itself in fuel savings over my 26 mpg Buick in about 10 years at $2.78 a gallon.

Obligatory woodworking content: The F250 contains the material for my latest project: Replacing the old decking around the pool with composite. Almost ready to begin installation. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My guess is by the time you factor in depreciation, insurance, fuel, repairs and license costs, you are looking $0.75/mile, based on 10,000 miles/year.

Bottom line....................

Is ownership of that F250 worth $7,500/year this year and probably more next year?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:3Y32k.13895$%Z1.11143 @trnddc05:

*snip*

For what we do with it, yep. It essentially replaced a minivan in lumber hauling duties, as well as took on additional duties for bigger things like the 4 wheeler.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Now that's funny. I didn't ask a question and I didn't single you out as the waster of oil with a big car, yet you still saw the need to defend yourself. The battle will never end, real or perceived.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Lew Hodgett:

Puckdropper:

Really? I knew in the back of my mind that my Nissan Titan had to go. It was a wonderful truck, one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever driven. But it was killing people in Oil War II. Still, I kept pushing that to the back of my mind. I "needed it to haul lumber," or so I told myself.

One day, while driving it empty (as was usually the case) I was following a Home Depot "$19 for one hour" truck. That did it. I traded it for a Prius the next day. (Pickups were still in high demand, and the Titan was cherry; CarMax gave me a better-than-retail trade-in.)

I just got a load of synthetic decking from a professional supplier who will deliver free _if_ you let them pick the day and time of delivery for maximum efficiency. Not everyone can do that, of course, but I had my load within 36 hours of ordering it.

There are certainly a lot of people who have a legitimate need for a light truck -- farmers, contractors, &c, but that number is _far_ lower than the number of people who _own_ light trucks.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

The way the price of gas is going it may be cheaper to drive the rice burner to the locations you wish to visit and stay in a luxury hotel.

Reply to
Nova

There is an old saying that comes to mind:

"If you buy them books and they eat the covers, not much you can do."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You may be correct with diesel going for a buck a gallon more than gasoline. However the geezer rates in the national parks are only about $3/night. Most fancy RV parks go for $20-30/night. Another cost saving is being able to prepare your meals rather than doing the restaurant thing. We like to send a minimum of three days in any location to enjoy the area, so even with travel days running about $100 for fuel, the overall cost isn't bad compared to motels & restaurants with the rice burner.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn