High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Waitaminnit! My wife is over there at the moment. Maybe I should .... .... nah, not really. I just bought a 30" monitor for a new toy. Don't want to rock the boat. ;-D

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

And of course the voltage would be wrong. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

Go for it... Use the magic word... ON SALE

Ladies love a bargain..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Years ago I bought the Ryobi. At the time it was around $80.00. After using it a few times with poor results due to the slop in the slot it cut I gave it away and bought the Porter Cable at $190.

You probably saved yourself $100 by getting the better joiner first.

Reply to
Nova

I have never heard a person complain about the high quality tools he owns, but if you hang around here long enough, you will hear a good bit of whining about how their new $30 "whatever" is a real POS.

Never regret buying good... You want to have good tools at the estate sale don't you ???

dan wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I have a Ryobi variable speed drill that I bought mainly as a cheap second drill for countersinking. It does that job just fine. Occasionally the bubble level on the back end comes in handy.

For $50, it's done its duty.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Germany - 220V New Zealand - 230V

that would work, although I'd have to change the plug.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

When I saw my first aticle about biscuit joining I decided to try the Freud as a kind of Proof Of Concept.

It worked well enough that I bought a Lamello.

That was almost two decades ago and I still have the Lamello.

They've changed the name to a Top 10, or some such, but that original Lamello still works like it did on the day I got it.

There used to be a guy who posted here and his sig was, "buy the best and only cry once" - he had the right idea.

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

And, what kind of improvement did you see with the Lamello? My first and only biscuit joiner was and is a Freud. However, in the fifteen or so years I've had it, I doubt it's been used more than five times, so it's not as if I need one that would offer greater capability.

Reply to
Upscale

cool Would the cycles be the same?

Reply to
Leon

From every thing I have read it is a fine piece of machinery that does exactly what it is suppose to do. In contrast many other lesser brands make inconsistent thickness cuts.

Reply to
Leon

Hi all (especially Ed P.)

So, everyone (except one Harbor Fraught fan) seems to agree that getting a high-end biscuit joiner is the way to go.

So now, does anybody have some hands-on info on how the better biscuit joiners compare?

The Porter Cable, and DeWalt are what I'm looking at so far...anyothers in that price range ($200 - yeah, if I had the $$ I would be looking a the Lamello) I should consider?

How do the PC and DeWalt compare in performance and features?

TIA

-Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"

Chef Juke

The PC can do more than the DeWalt. Bote are top notch machines. FYI and IMHO for the price of the Lamello you can get a Festool Domino and it is a far superior fastening system.

For one, the PC will make far smaller slots for face frame applications and it's fence IMHO is more adaptive.

Reply to
Leon

I have the Domino and the PC 557 and PC556. The Domino is superior in all respects. IMHO it will make Lamello have to rethink its pricing policy.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

And/or its technology.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Maybe so. I'm willing to bet however, that the Domino will make major inroads on that market. Lamello brand isn't cheap so if one might be willing to spend the bucks on one, then it's not that further a reach to buy the Domino.

Reply to
Upscale

I don't, not with the Festool Domino recently on the market. Take a look at their video and then see if you still want/need a high end biscuit joiner ~ or any biscuit joiner for that matter.

Upscale

"Everyone seems to agree that a higher end joining system is the way to go." Since the main factor of price was indicated in my note about the $200 Range and would rule out the Lamello, the Domino etc.

Yes, I still want a biscuit joiner until such time as I can afford other options.

Oh, and none of this means that I don't think the Domino is an impressive system....just that it is outside my current budget.

-Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"

Chef Juke

Universal motors are bi-sexual, will operate on either AC/DC thus frequency is ignored.

Almost all hand held power tools have universal motors, which means they have a commutator and brushes.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So they're only legal in California and Massachusetts.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston