Pergo End Joints?????

We just laid our first of five rooms of Pergo in one of our spare bedrooms and prior to installing, we did cement floor leveling as there were some "waves" in the room which helped a lot and we used a premium underlayment vapor barrier that has a thick felt-like cushion to help reduce sound. The install went well and rather easy, and the sound barrier seems to helped reduce echoing in the empty room. You can feel a slight cushion-like feel when you walk on the floor, too.

The long joints are all clean and solid, but we're starting to notice that even though the end joints are tight together, there are quite a few that have a slight "edge" to them. They look good but as you run your fingernail across them you can feel the edge, just a slight variation in height. And if you stand on the slightly higher board, you can feel the "edge" disappear or invert.

Is there any way to get the end joints more solid together in alignment? We drove the ends together and had them lock well, and they are butt together solid, but this edge seems like it would be noticeable if walking and sliding your bare feet on the floor.

Any help???

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Did you acclimate the material to the room per instructions, prior to install?

Also, you say you _drove_ the ends together. This is bothersome, too much force can damage the butt joints.

Reply to
casey

YUP! About 5 days.

Just used a rubber mallet and a support board and yspped just enough to have the ends snap together. Since the long edge needs to go in on an angle, you have to leave a slight game as you snap the long edge together and then tap the short ends together straight on. But it appears that joint does not lock as solid as the long edges.

Reply to
infiniteMPG

yspped???? should say TAPPED, was dark when I was typing :O/

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Just took two end pieces and snapped them together on the kitchen counter and noticed that I couldn't get this "edge" to go completely away on the ends like it does on the sides. Is this just the way Pergo IS????

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Watch the ridges carefully, I'm betting they gone down each day.

No, Pergo shouldn't have ridges.

Reply to
casey

We did floor leveling on the concrete but it still wasn't perfect. When we laid the Pergo (with the thick vapor barrier) we noticed there were a few "soft spots" where the Pergo would sit slightly above the actual floor and when you stepped on it, the floor would spring down slightly. Not a lot but being a perfectionist :O) I noticed. Now I am finding that I don't see that anymore and I'm thinking the Pergo is "settling" down on to the floor. is this normal? Hopefully the end joints do the same thing.

As far as "ridges" we just notice that if you touch your fingernail against the flooring, as you slide between pieces across the end joints, you get a little "click" with your nail where you can tell that it's not a perfectly smooth transition, not really a "ridge". Going across the long joints we don't see that at all. But when I put the two pieces together not on the floor, I saw the same thing which is why I asked if that was "normal".

Reply to
infiniteMPG