HF tool smell

Page 1 of 3
Geez, I happened to be in HF twice in the last couple of weeks and boy I pity those folks. The smell is just so bad. And the tools I bought there (simple measuring tapes) continue to stink up my desk. Any thought as to what is going on? And/or any ideas on how to dissipate the smell?
MJM
In article

I have been harping about that stink in many previous posts. Many of us Wreckers have agreed that Chinese rubber/plastic STINKS!
I know I can buy a tool for cheap, for limited use at Princess Auto (A Canuckistani version of HF) but I absolutely dread walking in there.
I had a rubber-coated flashlight in a metal toolbox. It was in one of my trucks for a week or so and MAN.. I opened the toolbox and bloody-near got floored by the fumes.
To the best of my knowledge, the Chinese rubber stink is as hard to get rid of as is Hillary.
Wonder if the fumes are harmful. most likely. Plastic have many poisonous compounds it it. Outgassing just spreads it around??

Your culprit is outgassing. Remember, the solution to pollution is dilution. Joe G

I never had the smell. I've never been to a HF store and have no incentive to go either. Thanks for confirming my reasons.

Ed, you have to go at least once. It's like a car wreck, you just can't stop looking.
Mike O.

Got to get rid of that benzene, lead tainted paint and the rendered bodies of those organ farmed prisoners somehow.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cat Pee in the glue!
Lobby Dosser wrote:

And all this time I was blaming my cats for using the unswept sawdust instead of the kitty box...... personally I don't really think HF Chinese tools smell much different than anybody else's Chinese tools..... Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

They do. The HF cat pee glue is aged at least 90 days in quarter sawn oak shavings.

*Entire* cat in the glue.

Nope. The rest of the cat is in your tuna salad!
Lobby Dosser wrote:

<http://www.funnypart.com/funny_flash/peking_moon.shtml

LOL!!
Chinese restaurant in the town near where I was stationed in England got shut down for a while for serving cat Food. Many of us suspected it was the "on the hoof" variety of cat food. In a word, Rodents.
Years ago, my cousin was a cop in NY. There was an alarm, after hours, at a Chinese restaurant. He was sent to investigate. The back door was open and when he entered to look for the perp he saw a trash can filled with cat heads and skins. He called in what he saw. When the owner showed up a bit later he was arrested. The results and publicity of the arrest were catastrophic for the restaurant's business. (pun intended)
Glen
--
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's
just that they know so much that isn't so."

Told this one years ago, but here it is again:
Left Hong Kong on a Greek ocean liner back in the 60's and about three days out the menu read "Rabbit with rice pilaf" ... however, it was damn hard to fool a country boy who's family raised rabbits to eat, and who dissected a cat or two in a comparative anatomy class in college.
Of course, I wasted no time in setting the record straight to the warm and fuzzies at my table who, seeing all those cats in cages in some of the markets, had been gushing about how much the Chinese were pet lovers.
I passed on the "rabbit" that day ... but had to swallow dog, out of courtesy, on more than one occasion .. another story entirely.
Some things never change ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Ever hear the Weird Al Yankovic song "The Cat's in the Kettle" ? (sung to the Harry Chapin tune of similar name)
--
Regards,
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:10:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXxrMC5Pv4

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Doug Miller wrote:

Posted upthread. There seems to be some question of whether it is Weird Al or Bob Rivers.

Good luck. I've been storing a dolley, with "rubber" tires from HF, in a store room for two years and the stink from the "rubber" is still enough to run you out of the place.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08