Help with Air Nailer Choice

Am looking to buy a pnumatic nail gun and am looking for a bit of advice. What gauge/size do most of you find most versital? Mostof my work will be with edge moulding, frames, etc measuring under 1 inch in thickness with the occasional fencing project coming every now and then. As a side note, are the electric ones I see a credible alternative? Thanks for the help

Reply to
iNF

You need at least 2 guns for what you want to do. For small projects with wood thinner than 3/4" thick you can use a brad nail gun. Wood 3/4" and thicker use a finish nailer. I generally use a brad nail gun when I only want to shoot 1" and shorter nails. I step up to a finish nail gun when I shoot finish nails 1.25" and longer.

That said, for all fence work you want to use a framing nail gun that shoots hails with heads.

Steer way clear of all electric nail guns. They will seldom sink the nail completely.

Reply to
Leon

if you are going with one gun, I would go 16gauge. i have a framing nailer (Porter cable) 15 gauge (Dewalt) and 18ga brad nailer (Dewalt) I use the framer only on specific applications, the brad nailer gets most of the work, but you could use a 16 gauge to sit somewhere in the middle of both of them.

I like both the Porter Cable and Dewalt, 0 issues ever between 3 guns.

Reply to
A.I.

I have two air nailers, both Craftsman, don't laugh, I paid $75 for the pair, like new condition! I have seen the same guns in a differant color, Porter Cable perhaps, I forget! The 18 gauge is only good for light trim work, thin edge molding, maybe a picture frame. The 16 gauge does a good job at door/window trim and baseboard. Either gun will sink a 2" nail in solid oak, but the 16 gauge has mare grab on the material. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

First air tool I had was a Craftsman-that was what sold me on air tools. Went out and bought a bunch more and a big compressor to run them. Love 'em!!!

Reply to
Ramsey