Help find padlock for delta miter saw

I recently bought the Delta 36-255L compound miter saw (the one with the lasers). The child-safety mechanism is a hole in the trigger for a padlock. The presence of a padlock would prevent the trigger from being depressed, thus preventing the saw from being turned on by my

5-year-old.

The problem is I can't find a padlock that fits. Such a padlock would have these dimensions (where "hoop" is that bent metal bar on the top of the lock) - 3/16" hoop diameter (the actual bar diameter), 1/2" horizontally between the hoop "legs", and 3/4" height inside the hoop when locked. The height dimesion is from memory and is approximate.

Has anyone found a padlock that fits, or know of a specific lock that has these dimensions?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Press

I know bicycle locks that used to go through the spokes, from fork leg to fork leg would meet the length requirements

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Would a cable lock (bicycle or gun lock) work? My gun lock is just like a bicycle lock, but is only about 10" long. Not sure if it's 3/16" though, might be 1/4".

Reply to
Anonymoose

Short-term fix is a bolt and a nylock nut or double nut it with a wrench. Doubtful a 5 year old is strong enough to undue it. Another method would be unplugging it and putting a lock box over the plug.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

look 3 places... master padlock...

i think- going by memory

ABUS, dont know their web site, but you could search

and as the other person said, lock through the plug, a VERY small Master padlock, which IS available.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I don't know about others, but I found one at my local Wal-Mart. Works great!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Mooney

I checked out my Delta 36-075 and it looks like the webbing in the = switch handle is well away from the hole. Have you considered enlarging = the hole to accommodate your needs ? Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Look at "lock out/tag out" kits from an electrical supplier. They also have pins that will lock out any plug with holes in the prongs.

Reply to
Greg

Think "Luggage Lock".

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I'd be curious how you like the saw. I was thinking of buying the version that bevels for trim work.

I have a friend thinking of buying your version because of the lasers. Do you find them accurate and useful?

How's the blade?

Reply to
p_j

Could use a bolt thru hole, (drill a hole in bolt and put lock thru bolt).

Reply to
Runnonmt

Check your local luggage store or the luggage section at Wally World.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone