Garage door

Hi everyone !!

I know this isn't really a woodworking question but after reading some of the posts I know I can get an answer.

Ok--now for the stupid question--I'm planning on building a pole building garage and I need to know what the finished dimensions would be for the opening for a 9 X 7 garage door--also what is the normal wall height for a pole garage??--just wanting to get an idea so that I can do some figuring while it is still cold and wet outside LOL Thanks Chris

Reply to
Christopher Shoenleben

I would suspect you will need a building permit for your project and checking with your material supplier would likely give you answers to all your questions.

Reply to
Gerry

I suppose wall height may depend on what your needs are. A motorhome/traveltrailer with roof top airconditioner may need a 12 foot high door. Since you have already decided on a 7 foot door there would be little need for than a 8 foot wall. I suspect that my pickup would not fit thru the door you have chosen. Doors come in two foot increments. 8X8 10X8

12X8 and so on. 10X8 is small but would at least work for my pickup. A 8 foot door probably needs a 10 foot wall. I am thinking 16 foot walls for my building. I would like to get a 30X12 door.

Reply to
Pat Keith

Reply to
Eric Ryder

|Hi everyone !! | |I know this isn't really a woodworking question but after reading some of |the posts I know I can get an answer. | |Ok--now for the stupid question--I'm planning on building a pole building |garage and I need to know what the finished dimensions would be for the |opening for a 9 X 7 garage door--also what is the normal wall height for a |pole garage??--just wanting to get an idea so that I can do some figuring |while it is still cold and wet outside LOL |Thanks |Chris

Why don't you contact dealers for data sheets? They can give you dimensions, attachment and trim requirements, clearances required, etc.

Be sure to allow enough overhead space for an opener if you intend to install one.

Also, IMHO your sizing is too small. When you trade in your Geo Metro for a 4x4 Ford Excursion what are you going to do?

I built my two-car garage 30' wide and 28' deep with a 10' high clear span ceiling and two 12' wide x 8' high doors. With the crap that accumulates I still can't open the doors on my Camaro all the way.

Now that I'm doing WW in it I wish it was 40' deep but unfortunately I had a septic tank in the way.

Decide how big you want it then double that number. |

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Go 10 feet. The extra 2 feet make one helluva difference in how easy the shop is to work in.

Specially after you hang lights.

Reply to
Mark

What area of the country are you in? I happen to have a 9' x 7' (about) single bay garage door that I took out of my shop last summer and need to find a good home for it. I am in Tucson, AZ.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:35:14 GMT, "Christopher Shoenleben" brought forth from the murky depths:

Some suggestions:

1) Get Monte Burch's book "Pole Building Projects" from your local library.

2) Check with roll-up door manufacturers for their own specs on standard door sizes.

3) DAGS
Vidi, Vici, Veni ---
Comprehensive Website Development
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Heck, if it is a pole garage go with 12' ceilings. You'll be glad later on if you ever work in it.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

If building over 10' forget using T111. An 8' sheet can be made to work with a 10' ceiling by using 4 skirts and drooping the sheet a few inches on the header. I went this route because a 10' sheet was substantially more expensive than a 8' sheet.

Check you codes, around here a 8' needs only 4x4 wall posts (not sure about the corners), a 10' needs 4x6 wall posts and

6x6 corners, I don't know what a 12' would need.
Reply to
Mark

Check out my post "My New Shop - Almost Finished" in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I went with 12 foot ceiling and 10'X10' doors because I plan for the building to be multipurpose. The 12 foot ceilings are to accomodate a anticapated lift. The 10 foot doors are to accomodate a 9'8" tactor.

I used T111 in the woodshop area. As you can see, its an 4' sheet over top of an 8' sheet. BTW, a ceiling is going in the rest of the shop this week.

Reply to
gary