Hats Off !!!

What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) a nd come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on! I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same ge ezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. W hat has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Hair loss.

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

They did not go to Catholic school in the 50's.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to carry a comb in my back pocket, but no more. So when I take my cap off my hair is all awry.

Reply to
G. Ross

Removing the hat improves the lighting as it reflects better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

e people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 a nd under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!

r leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Yeah, and it's not just the hats. Some guys think it's OK to dress like thi s for dinner.

DerbyDad03

Ah formal dinner at the nudist colony.

Reply to
Markem

Well Ivan If you are going to bitch or complain about something you should at least practice what you preach. Have the courtesy to label your post as OFF TOPIC so that those that don't want to read you comments will have a warning.

To answer your question, where have you been. This started coming on as an acceptable way to dress since "Casual Friday" And a suite in the work place, not really.

And I applaud you for to practicing the habits that you have learned.

Reply to
Leon

I didn't need to see that. I DID NOT need to see that.

Reply to
Just Wondering

e people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 a nd under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!

r leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

The truth is, we are living in a culture that has lost its roots. This app lies across the board, we no longer know what is "right" or "wrong," everyt hing is relative. Sex is no longer about love but about getting your "rock s off," hence folks "hooking up" rather than marrying. Women, largely beca use of feminism, are no longer seen as being special and those for whom one acts well. The list goes on, but the bottom lines, we have lost a lot and are probably going to lose even more before too long.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Dr. Deb wrote: The truth is, we are living in a culture that has lost its roots. This applies across the board, we no longer know what is "right" or "wrong," everything is relative. Everyone seems to want to use the media to advance an agenda. Those without a firm grip on something would seem be at risk of being swept out to sea. The dollar is king. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that senses change. Families are better connected and more separated than ever!

Reply to
Bill

re: "Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"

I don't know if you mean that as good thing or a bad thing.

I have 4 adult children. We are separated by a minimum of 161 miles and as much as 2500 miles. I speak and/or text with at least one of them almost ev ery day, but without a doubt at least a couple of times a week. Many times the communication is in the form of a group text where the entire family is involved in the conversation. Sometimes it's about important stuff, someti mes it's about an individual accomplishment, sometimes it's just about some thing funny one of us saw.

Sometimes I'll get nothing more than a simple "Hi!" and sometimes that's al l I need.

In contrast, when I moved out of my parent's house 40+ years ago, the only time we communicated was when one of us found time to go over to that thing that was wired to the wall and dialed, hoping that the person at the other end was near that thing they had wired to their wall. Unless time was spec ifically scheduled for a chat, it could be weeks between "connections".

My 2 boys (the oldest of the 4) moved out just as texting was becoming more and more prevalent. Once Mom and I caught up with the technology, our fami ly became separated only in the physical sense.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not blaming the technology for anything. Sometimes I tell my wife, she's "not there", even though she is sitting right next to me. I think it's worse with teenagers..lol

Reply to
Bill

I'm still not sure what you meant by this:

"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Less actual face-to-face interaction??

Reply to
Swingman

Maybe, but as I said in my earlier post, my kids are at least as "separated " from SWMBO and I as I was from my parents - actually more - but my kids a nd I are so much closer from a communication standpoint.

I took his statement to mean that families are better connected from a tech nology standpoint but more emotionally/socially separate than past generati ons. I agree with the former, but as for the latter, I find the exact oppos ite to be true...and not just for my family.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ivan Vegvary was heard to mutter:

It's the baseball caps, especially the ones worn at odd angles.

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear. When did that become a fashion statement? Gotta say that is NOT attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

Manners? I think those have sadly followed the dodo bird.

Reply to
Casper

Bill

ated" from SWMBO and I as I was from my parents - actually more - but my ki ds and I are so much closer from a communication standpoint.

technology standpoint but more emotionally/socially separate than past gene rations. I agree with the former, but as for the latter, I find the exact o pposite to be true...and not just for my family.

I read Deb's thoughts and chose not to respond, but since you brought it up , I'll add my 2¢. I originally chose not to respond because of the vast a mount of time it would take to express all of my thoughts on those extremel y general statements. I'm on my way out so I'll try to make this quick. Obv iously this could turn into a very long thread and I really don't want to s pend time discussing this in the wRec. For the most part, I find Deb's stat ements to be so general as to have no weight.

re: "Sex is no longer about love but about getting your "rocks off," hence folks "hooking up" rather than marrying."

If we were to go back to the earliest forms of recorded history we would fi nd evidence of debauchery and infidelity across just about every culture an d time period. There were willing parties of every size, shape and gender e ngaging in sex outside of a loving relationship. If Deb thinks that people weren't "hooking up" since the dawn of (wo)mankind, perhaps some research i s in order.

re: "Women, largely because of feminism, are no longer seen as being specia l and those for whom one acts well."

The definition of "feminism" reads as follows:

"the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and ec onomic equality to men."

Let's replace the word "feminism" in Deb's statement with the definition an d see how it reads:

Women, largely because of the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men, are no longer seen as bein g special and those for whom one acts well.

Is Deb saying that advocating for equal rights for woman was a bad thing? S hould we go back to the time when woman were "seen as being special" but we re also held back in their careers because of the glass ceiling and actuall y prohibited for getting jobs that they were capable of doing? That's the k ind of "special" treatment that women are still fighting against.

Bottom line: "One" shouldn't act well for *women*, one should act well for

*all* people. It's called respect and should not be gender specific. I hold the door for women, but I also hold the door for men. I am polite to women , but I am also polite to men. How a person treats other people says more a bout them than about any "movement".

As I said, aside from the fact that the wRec is not the proper place for th is discussion, it would take more than a post is any forum to fully express my thoughts on both of these issues. I'm sure that there will be responses to this post, but I really don't know how deep I plan to go. If I don't co ntinue this discussion please don't take that as agreement or disagreement with anyone's points.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The difference now, it is more public and accepted. Pregnant girls no longer have to go off and live with an aunt until the baby is born to hide the fact. I remember as a married man going to the pharmacy to buy condoms behind the counter. Now they are on display at WalMart so you can choose the color and flavor you want.

Nudity and semi-nudity is easily shown in movies and main stream magazines today, now like it as in the past. Sex is alive and well, same as it has been since Adam & Eve. Just more open, be that good or bad.

Agree about the respect no matter the gender. Some women, perhaps a small minority, are now insulted if you hold a door for them. I think it is the more radical feminists though, that actually complain about being treated a little special. I'm equal, therefore I don't need you to assist me.

My wife still likes being treated as a special woman though. A few women take it as only a gesture you do because you want to get in their pants. Yes, that can be the case, but not always.

Point taken.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski