Grripper question

Curious to know who's had experience with the 'Grripper system' used for ripping stock. I like the promotional info re: safety; just don't know whether or how this system would work for ripping strips of maple 3/4" thick by 1.5" wide by 72" inches in length. Any ideas, suggestions welcome. Dave Albrektson

Reply to
albrektson

I don't have one but reserached this just w/in the past few days. The best price this month, especially if you want to buy two (which many users recommend) is direcly at

is the google search I did:
are 27 threads, so easy to read through. I found them helpful.

Reply to
Igor

Well I bought one a few months back for $65 I believe and think it's great. It's a little pricey, but it works fantastic. I would disagree with the poster that compared it to a wooden push block, the Gripper is really much more than that. Instead of pushing from behind you set the legs of it to match what you are cutting and then place the block on top of your piece and push it through. The blade then passes underneath the block (and your hand). This allows you to get a much better..well..grip on the piece.

Although kickbacks are ALWAYS possible I think this unit would make a kickback highly unlikely the way it grips both pieces as it goes through the saw. It's very adjustable and let's you rips strips down to 1/4" wide I believe. I feel MUCH, MUCH safer ripping now after using their system. I would highly recommend it...

Reply to
Jeff

Have to disagree with Jeff's view of te Grripper but just a little. The ripping of 3/4" boards into 1 1/2" strips relying solely on the Grrripper went astray when you got to the 6 foot length part. The Grrripper is good for keeping control of shorter stuff - the 4 - 12 inch stuff that can really raise hell at the back of the blade, after completing the cut. In this case it acts as a hold down, a hold in and a pushing device - things a push stick can't do and feather boards for hold down and hold in gets in the way when trying to complete the cut. The Grrripper is geat for ripping narrow shorter stuff - down to 1/4" width AND it gives you pretty good control when running narrow stuff passed a router bit on a router table.

BUT - for 6 foot and longer rips I'd look into Mesa Designs "Grip-Tite" system - a pair of magnetic hold down/hold in devices and a steel face for your rip fence for the magnets to hold on to. They're quick and easy to set and once you've seen a demo of these puppies at a woodworking show you'll reach for your wallet AFTER applauding. It goes something like this

With one hand in his pocket and feeding a pine or doug fir 2x4 into the saw blade from the end of it's 3 foot length he begins "Now ordinarily I wouldn't try to one hand this cut."

Letting go of the board he continues

"And letting go of a board during a cut normally isn't a good idea."

(you should find yourself moving out of the line of fire if you're standing behind or beside him)

Walking around the back of the still running saw - in the middle of the cut he squeezes the kerf closed, saying

"And this isn't something you want to do either."

(you should be now prone on the floor, teeth clenched)

Then this lunatic grabs the end of the board and starts trying to shake it left and right as the saw blade really starts protesting.

"Even though you've told your assisting spouse/significant other/ friend never to do this, he or she will do it at least once per rip."

(at this point you'll be trying to dig a hole in the floor with one hand, your other arm trying to cover your head and your eyes should be clenched shut as you attempt to recite The Lord's Prayer or the 23rd Psalm - you know, the one that goes "Yay though I walk in the shadow of death ..." You'll be half way through either of them when you're brain will register the silence - no more blade screams, no more smell of burning drive belts. It will take you a few moments to regain your composure and get back to a standing position. Don't worry, he'll wait for you before continuing his "pitch")

Waiting patiently for his audience to get up off the floor and get their blood pressure and adrenaline levels below the Red Zone, he finishes the cut, turns off the saw and then holds up both hands, fingers spread so you can count that they're all still there.

"And that my friends is why you need The Grip-Tite System!"

Reaching for your wallet you'll ask "How much?"

"Just ten bucks a finger. Hell, it pays for itself - you know what a trip to the emergency room costs these days?" (He quickly adds that the actual price is $100 - no discounts for those with missing parts of fingers or entire digits gone)

Now have a look at their site and seriously consider ordering

I have no affiliation with Mesa Designs - just a satisfied customer.

BTW - if the 6 foot length is critical start with stock an few inches longer and cut to length after ripping to width.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb