Today I had my first experience with rubber

... self-amalgamating tape

:-)

mending the inspection lamp where the flex had worn, I had to cut it open and glue it back together. Things just aren't made to be repaired these days. It started failing when the plumber was here t'other week.

It's very useful offering to 'hold the light' for a tradesman. Means I can watch what they're doing without being nosey.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Don't talk to me about rubber. In the middle of cutting 7mm hard rubber tiles for the floor of teh workshop. Bloody hard work.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Graham.

Sounds like the first line of a joke about your conception.

Reply to
Graham.

Jigsaw with a knife blade?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sounds like a job for a bandsaw.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You sure its rubber? I've not seen rubber on cables for many years. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One other strange thing with rubber or something very like it. I have a tuning knob. its outer surface appears to be knurled rubber. In fact its like a very thin rubber tyre, but its stretching as it ages and is now too big and won't stay on any more. OK I can cut it and glue it but that would feel odd at the join. I think I may be able to get a new tyre or whole knob, but the same thing will happen again. I do sometimes wonder if makers of stuff ever think about what happens when things age and indeed presumably absorb atmospheric and skin oils etc and then change shape. Did I mention its also ballooning in the middle? Bah humbug. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The cable wasn't rubber, but I used the rubber self-amalgamating tape to make a new rubbery cover over the lamp where I had to saw it open to redo the connections.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Rubber flexible cable is still used. We have plenty of it

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think it tends to be synthetic rubber rather than natural rubber nowadays, but I agree it makes much nicer flexible cables than PVC.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I prefer it for extension leads as it is more flexible than PVC so it lies tidier, PVC doesn?t always and can in some circumstances be a trip hazard when it doesn?t lie close to the ground.

GH

Reply to
Marland

They used to make flex with string in it. It sat much better, and of course saved on plastic. Why does no-one do that now?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some recently purchased 5 x 1mm flex (? intended for central heating use) has plastic "string" at the centre. As did some 2 X 2.5mm rubber covered flex I bought for ELV use. So the makers still know it is a good idea.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

When I worked in the US, I often had dealings with what was then called on our purchase orders: The Exotic Rubber Company. I made sure that no shipments came to my house.

It has changed its name slightly now: Exotic Automation and Supply. It just doesn't sound the same...

Reply to
Davey

It still sounds like they make robotic sex dolls though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog