First Tomatillo Today :)

Well, having never grown them before, I was really surprised to pluck my first fat little tomatillo from the vine today. We planted a packet (indoors) but did not have good luck with them (they did not seem to thrive for some reason). Out of many we were left with two plants and had no idea that two were necessary for the fruit prior to reading that here. One plant is huge, now over six feet, and the other is small and puny. Both have many flowers and the large one also has many of the green husks.

What was a surprise is how the husks are so large and empty at first, later being filled and then split by the fruit. And here I thought they were probably all sterile. What a trip.

The branches seemed to want to grow horizontally so I espaliered them to some surrounding pepper plant stakes. They liked this treatment very well and are making lots of fruit all along the length of the branches. Consequently, I will follow the same treatment plan next year as well. What cool plants. :)

Phae

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Congratulations. They sound like the "Cape Gooseberries" I grew last year.

I have 2 tomatilloes this year, grown from seeds from the same fruit, and they seem to be incompatable. I have big healthy plants but no fruit. :-(

Regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Oh dear.... well I hope your situation improves. :) I just have to find out the particulars of their reproductive & fruiting habits.

Phae

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

I found a really nice volunteer tomato plant when I was weeding today. I pulled it up, then thought a minute, and rescued the plant and potted it in some compost. I'm gonna give the tomatillos another week, then I'll pull 'em up and replace one with the tomato I found.

There are some volunteer cape gooseberries that are about to start blooming; I may try using their pollen and a little sable brush to hand pollinate the tomatillos.

The plants are big and healthy, but I don't think I'll ever grow them again.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Aw...... well if you like tomatillos and salsa verde it might be worth another try.

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge