Granite countertops. Radioactive?

Page 3 of 3

Sorry you must have got your gases mixed up. The one we were talking about I have used at 1.6 bar (resting not active) for 16 mins and at lower pressures for quite a bit longer.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
Jerome Meekings wrote:

Jerome;
What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100% concentration is toxic. This is why the maximum depth for scuba divers using standard air mix is 300 feet. The partial pressure of atmospheric oxygen is 14.7 pounds per square inch at that depth. This is the equivalent of 100% concentration at sea level.
The whole thread on this subject is really a joke, or would be if some stupid city councilmen in California hadn't almost passed an ordinance baning Dihydrogen Monooxide as a hazardous substance. They were stopped in time.
The above is according to a newspaper article a couple of years ago.
Dave Nagel

No, what I was talking about was that water vapor at a partial pressure of one bar has a minimum temperature of 100 degrees Celsius.
--
FF

Good Heavens!!
That's Hydrogen Hydroxide, nature's universal solvent.
(BEG)
P D Q

On Jul 28, 2:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

If it is the one we are talking about you did not use it as a _gas_ at 1.6 bar.
--
FF

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/epa-confirms-granite-countertops-pose-significant-health-risk-undercutting-junk /
Assuming that teh EPA and FOX are accurately reporting the University of Akron and Consumer Reports results, and they tested the same granites that were reported on the in NY article, the radon levels in Dr. Sugarmans kitchen were incorrectly measured or reported, due to a different source, or her kitchen was extraordinarily poorly vented.
But with at least 900 kinds of granite from 63 countries being available in the US, I expect U of A and CR didn't test them all just yet.
--
FF

At some level, I'm sure that anything we dig up has some radiation, 'cept granma maybe.

I expect that anyone who was alive during the 50's and early 60's is more radioactive than someone who died before 1945 or was born after 196whatever when the test ban treaty went into effect (Google it yourself).
BTW, the fact that the granite under New York is of a type containing rather more radioactivity shold not deter you from subsidizing the subway mode of rapid transit.
--
Best regards
Han

NYC Subway works rather well, even for an outsider. It seems like the only choice of getting in and out of Manhattan as parking fees are just insane.
Interesting observation about subway technology. In Montreal, they run on rubber tires, in Toronto, on regular railroad-style wheels. Toronto's are quieter. (From an NRC Canada research finding, something I discovered during my research there.)
I am a huge proponent of hub & spoke subterranean people movers. Attach a subway system to a nuclear power plant, and Bob's your uncle. (Unless you get those horribly out-dated union attitudes in there, then we're all screwed.)

Not sure I understand exaactly what you mean with hub and spoke. Everywhere outside to just 1 center goes only so far. Both NY and Paris have what I would consider better systems than that, in that the "center" load is spread out.
--
Best regards
Han

Hub & Spoke is where major lines cris-cross at several different places. Not in the Purolator model, where is just one hub... I should have said hubS and Spokes. IOW, to be able to change trains at many locations...or stay on to your destination. For instance, you can (in Toronto) get to Bloor & Yonge from Union Station in more ways than one.

Ok, that's more like Boston then, or vice versa. I have been in Toronto only once, and that was many, many years ago.
--
Best regards
Han

Yes, I drove in to Manhattan for a while (~30 years ago), but the wear and tear on the system is just too much, even apart from the costs.

The Paris rubber lines do seem quieter than the other lines, but I think that track and equipment tolerances and upkeep are much more important to perceived sound levels.
--
Best regards
Han

Of course. Gamma too. Some much more than others
http://rpd.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/ncm327v2 http://www.uic.com.au/nip25.htm
It's the dose that makes a poison.
--
FF

wonder how much radioactivity one would find on a stole though the cemetery ross
Ross Hebeisen wrote:

Depends upon the time of day. About noon the solar radiation is at its max. At midnight look out for the ghosts.
maybe thats why they glow in the dark ross