GLOAT New Makita compound slider saw

No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around with substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the primary consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth, quiet, and the cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far exceeds my expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse through craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by... hmmm... usenet shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I wanted was troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For me, the Makita LS1013FL is the right choice.
MikeWhy wrote:

Nice. My buddy has a 12" Makita (non-slider), and it's an excellent machine. A Makita would probably have been my choice as well if -MIKE- hadn't suckered me into going the Craftsman RAS route. Incidentally, he still hasn't emailed me his phone number so my wife could cuss him out. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I had it reasoned out that, if it didn't work out to my liking, I could just turn around and sell it for double what I paid. After a good cleanup and with the recall parts, it would still be a bargain for the next guy. In the end, the ones I looked at were sad and sorry looking. I came home dejected and ordered the CS that evening to feel whole again.
Steve Turner wrote:

LOL. Hey man, I'm in the book. :-)
--

-MIKE-

MikeWhy wrote:

NICE! I like the light.
--

-MIKE-

It has a built-in, retractable zero clearance insert. That works better since I work as much by feel these days... The electronic soft start and quiet motor are absolute killer.
Now to build a proper home for it. Any thoughts on how to make a micro-adjustable height inset for the bench? Maybe micro adjustable wedges under the mount points oughta be good enough.

No, no Kapax. But I'll spend the difference on a new filter for the air cleaner and 150 bft of walnut. (I have to be hallucinating, but the dust collection seems to work better with the dust bag attached than with the shop vac. )
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 15:37:31 -0600, "MikeWhy"

nice, smooth cutting saw. On two of the models we had pass through (they ended up going out in the field to the trim crew) they developed a tendency to not positively lock into position (there was still play back and forth after turning the knob to lock the angle). Never really got to check it out but I suspect it might have been just a sawdust build up on the "thingy" not allowing it to fully engage into the detent. Just something to maybe watch out for down the road and if so make a part of your regular maintenance.
Lenny

You bet. ;) It'll take a few years to give it the same use that a production crew dishes out, but I'll watch out for that.