Radial saw chain mortiser attachment???

Anybody have or used one of these and any comments on how it did/does?

I have a bunch to do on the barn door restoration on end of the crossbucks and frames. Did first few w/ the benchtop puppy reversed on the stand and rigged up horizontally, but was _exceedingly_ slow. But, don't really want the expenditure of a stationary dude so thought perhaps the $250 or so from Wooddorker's Supply might not be too bad a deal...

Any input or leads appreciated...

dpb

> -- I have never seen anything like this. It seems pretty limited in what it can do. You would have to be doing something pretty specific to use it.

One problem I see is that you would need a sturdy table on the radial arm saw. You would need a way to support the timbers. And a fair amount of space around it as well.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Timber barns were several hundred feet long and often had branches. They were at saw mills. The massive beams laid out for craftsmen space to cut as needed. Massive bars and chisels were the tool.

Now the 'modern' barn builder and large earth quake buildings can chop out deep holes and make repeatable (with more instruments) holes that are tight.

The beam barn at San Lorenzo lumber in Felton Ca is an old example of Red Wood beam barn.

Mart>> Anybody have or used one of these and any comments on how it did/does? >>

>>> --

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Space and support aren't a problem in this case and the size of pieces is moderately small-2x8 (full dimension) 9-ft max length. The problem is there's no convenient way w/ a conventional mortising machine and there are a bunch of them (14/door if I'm counting right X 12 doors).

If it were reasonably well fabricated, w/ the radial arm flexibility of angle and height I have no trouble envisioning to cut the variety of positions needed so what I'm looking for is whether anybody has actual experience on this or knows a reasonably-priced alternative.

As I noted in the original post, I dismounted the benchtop mortiser from it's stand, rigged up a horizontal arrangement for it for the first door. It worked but was only marginally faster than just hand drilling and chopping cleanup by hand.

I'd love a full-blown chain mortiser, but just can't justify it...

--

Reply to
dpb