Free Books

Page 2 of 3

I guess I may have an iPad sooner than I thought I would ...
Thanks all.
--
Best regards
Han

I suspect that very few people ever use the full potential of full blown apps.

As long as you are in range of a satellite, at the very least, and are willing to pay the connect charges.

Perhaps not, but the apps themselves tax the hell out of operating systems and the attached hardware. Adobe is notorious for it.

And willing to accept the horrible latency delays of sat transmissions. When I had Starband sat Internet, I found that for small files, I could use a 21kbs dialup connection and get a faster upload than I could with the sat. Blew me away, it did. It had screaming fast downloads, though. Another problem is a penchance for uppity conections during even the slightest rainstorm and complete outages in any kind of snowstorm. I'm much happier with DSL.
And for largescale dataswapping, wireless is still not ready for primetime, IMnsHO.
-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:
Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
On 4/7/2011 6:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Terminology? ... "wireless" is used for "largescale" data streaming all the time ... streaming HD video over wireless is a large scale data stream by most any measure. It's why devices like SlingBox and Apple TV are becoming increasingly popular.
Granted, it depends upon where you live. With an 18GB uVerse connection at home, I consistently get 16GB+ download speeds sitting in my recliner streaming HD video and movies to my iPad with no problems ... and that's "wireless", Bubba! <g>
Apple's "Home Sharing" streams music and videos, via uVerse's built-in wireless router and iTunes on my old Dell laptop, to my iPad anywhere in the house or yard with no hiccups.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I shoulda used "cellular" instead of "wireless." Hell, they can't even guarantee that I'll hear all the words the cell user is speaking or that they'll hear what I'm saying, or that the line won't be dropped as my sister drives around in the Bay area. I don't think I've ever heard every word spoken during any given cell conversation. It just sucks! The fadeouts of old tech are replaced by garbling or muting of new tech. I guess the data integrity schemes in cellular are massive to keep up with the damned dropouts, unless the DACs are the guilty party in cell tech. Digital may be clean where the DACs flub the analog conversion so voice sucks?

Plan Comparison For the Optimal Experience:     Pro     Elite     Max     Max Plus     Max Turbo Pro Starting at $35*     Elite Starting at $40*     Max Starting at $45*     Max Plus Starting at $55*     Max Turbo Starting at $65* Upstream speeds up to     Up to 1 Mbps     Up to 1 Mbps     Up to 1.5 Mbps Up to 1.5 Mbps     Up to 3 Mbps Downstream Speed(s)     Up to 3 Mbps     Up to 6 Mbps     Up to 12 Mbps Up to 18 Mbps     Up to 24 Mbps
Not GB, Swingy.

Cool.
-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:
Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Not bloody likely. People on the flight-path would bitch and complain when those steam powered planes would blow their whistles on approach of the runway.

yeahbut. If you're on a data plan (this applies more to phones and tablets) that limits the amount of data before you start racking up surprise chages, well, SURPRISE!
Also worth considering: upload/download speeds. If you're on dial-up, you're gonna find anything other than text sux. If you're on cable and all your neighbors are streaming movies, you're also gonna find that anything other than text sux.

Yes -- between ilife and iWork, those functions are pretty well covered. iWork contains Pages, which equates to Word (and will save files as Word .docs and open .docx), Numbers, which equates to Excel (and will save files as .xls and open .xlsx), and Keynote, which equates to Powerpoint (and etc. ...).
If full compatibility with the Microsoft apps files is necessary, then you'll find Apple's programs miss, but not by much... page geometry in layouts down with Word breaks (but Word ISN't, no matter how hard the world tries, a layout program!). Powerpoints with sound generally remain mute. Excel files are just gonna look different, but most of the world just uses Excel to build minimally functional databases, not spreadsheets, don't they?
In terms of a presentation program, Keynote beats the hell out of Powerpoint, if for nothing else that you can place an image on one page, change the size and position of the image on the following page, and marvel that the program animates the transformation on the page transition. You have to see this to believe it!
iLife contains iPhoto, photo database cum photo editor, iMovie, a fairly powerful video editor, and Garage Band, a music production tool that, apparently, really shines on the iPad.
There are 3rd party apps that come closer to Photoshop's capability than does iPhoto, though iPhoto does a respectable job of the common photo enhancements like fixing red eye, lightening an underexposed photo, or improving color in a photo.
Nope, I don't have an iPad. I have used the iWord products pretty frequently to open files sent by clients using more recent versions on MS Office apps than I have access to, but I only need the data from those files, not the client's (generally awful) formatting.
One final benefit of the iPad, regardless of program functionality: they seem to keep small children quiet and engaged for lengthy periods of time. Don't you have grandchildren, Han?

You make it sound more and more enticing, Steve! 4 Grandkids, between 15 years and 3 months ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/7/2011 5:22 AM, Han wrote:

Han, Check out my FaceBook profile to see my youngest grandson (3) in the UK pounding on the iPad I gave their mother for her B'day a few weeks back.
Kids love'em. The boys have an iPod touch they've been sharing with their Mom, so they have the technology down cold.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I believe you, Karl!! Can't find the pictures, though ...
--
Best regards
Han

I'd love to see someone design an entire kitchen on a 4" screen.
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I believe the iPad is almost 10 inches accross.
--
Best regards
Han

My answers could be:
1) Better, but not by a whole lot. or 2) Well, _somebody_ had to say it. ;)
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I think the screen is big enough, ( it *is* way bigger than a 4") but when drawing, I would need something a bit more precise than my fat fingers... something like a pen. I do know that the 'touch' type screens do not have the resolution of a proper CAD tablet. The new iPad2 has a trapdoor for a mini card. Who knows what we'll be able to load in down the road... That just got me thinking... when is somebody going to write an app that will let you use an iPad as a tablet to input to a CAD system. Via WiFi even, assuming it has enough resolution. (Not video resolution, but the overlay (touch) resolution.) After using it as an input to CAD, then you could save your rendering to the iPad.
wrote in

I have a tablet that runs the Android OS. Google makes Android. Google makes SketchUp.
Rassssberrry! :o)
On 4/6/2011 6:01 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

My DroidX could almost be considered a tablet ... aspirin sized, but what the hell. <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

What are you guys paying for voice/data packages per month?
-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:
Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
wrote in

Mine is Frontier (formerly Verizon). Pay $99 for phone/net/tv with unlimited domestic long distance. Was worried about Frontier taking over but so far - knock wood - everything's been OK. From my perspective, Verizon Service was terrific and Frontier inherited the people. Had the internet and got the tv as soon as they had the line. Comcast SUCKED.

Do you have limited local phone hours, or Internet?