Free: Mathematics books.

All surplus to requirements:

Countdown to Mathematics, Vol. 1 and 2 These are part of the OU mathematics course, and, from a quick google, are still used. ISBN 0201137305 & 0201137313

The Mathmatics Primer. K.R.Coombes et al. Probably of little use, was for Mathematica 2 IIRC, gives a breakdown of functions, and how-tos for Mathematica in Mac (classic) OS and Win 95. ISBN0521637155

Mathematics for engineers and scientists. K.Weltner et al. Pretty good, advanced book. ISBN 0859501205

Foundation Maths. A. Croft & R.Davison. Pretty good 'basic to advanced' maths book. ISBN 058223185-x

Free, but I would like a donation for the postage, or collect from here, just south of Leicester

Reply to
A.Lee

No shit, sherlock. This IS Usenet, after all - the refuge of the over 40 crowd. I reckon it's been decades since anyone here studied maths. Or wanted to.

Your sig is busted, along with your from line.

Reply to
Thomas

The key phrase you snipped: "These are part of the OU mathematics course, and, from a quick google, are still used"

OU is aimed at those who do want to study.

is a disappearing part of UK culture. Kipper ties, lonely beards and hard equations.

Reply to
sweller

See, this is why it is easier to just throw something away, rather than making an effort to, maybe, helping someone out with free goods, there is always someone ready to berate somebody for no reason.

Really? Why's that?

Reply to
A.Lee

As noted, this is USENET. It's what we're here for.

OK, perhaps not busted, but blank. Perhaps it's my newsreader, but even if I wanted the books, I have no idea who you are, or how to find you.

Reply to
Thomas

Is it ever. I have just had the eldest of the grandchildren and parents round for the obligatory pre xmas meet and have been learning about how they teach sums to 5 year olds these days. A bit different from the learn by rote and learn it right or you get pain which was the norm in my day.

Reply to
steve auvache

Bollocks is it.

Reply to
ogden

Yeah, but we've got the abacus now, haven't we.

Reply to
ogden

Ah, a charm donor...

His sig is fine, and the from line is supposed to be busted, read the instructions in the sig.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sadly it is shriveling, if not disappearing entirely. Have you seen the fees for it now?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

For all the good the inaccurate civilian versions will do you.

Reply to
steve auvache

Heh.

Reply to
ogden

Have you seen the prices they charge now?

£1250 for a 30 point module.
Reply to
PipL

Yebbut, the futurelearn initiative starting next year is free...

rick

What's that when it's at home, then?

Reply to
PipL

It's all to do with this ...

the future of education apparently.

Reply to
rick

See up there ^? The line below where it says "Thomas wrote"? Where it says "On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 07:17:03 -0800, wrote:"?

If I saw a "+" anywhere, I might change it to a "plus," but I don't. When I hit reply to sender, the address field is blank.

FWIW, I'm using Opera.

Reply to
Thomas

I guess that would be why then...

Looks fine from here.

Reply to
John Rumm

Wow - I was fortunate to do my second degree (1991-96) at West London Institute -> Brunel as a PT mature student. Cost £50 per module (x18=£900). How many OU modules make a degree?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

IIRC, when I did it (OU), it was 120 points. Some modules were 15 points, the majority ( a years study) were 30 points. Cost around £150/yr then ~1999. Some were rather more expensive, anything that required course materials and experimentation (chemistry?) were ridiculously expensive then. Popular ones like maths were the cheapest, one tutorial a week where 20+ people attended, you were given a sheaf of papers, and left to get on with it yourself.

Reply to
A.Lee