Wax Free Toilet Seals

If I wanted to try the new wax free seals, knowing that the wax ones are proven technology, does anyone have experience with the pros and cons of the ones made by Fluidmaster or Fernco:

Fluidmaster:

Fernco:
Supposedly they were all created from this one:
That generated this article:
Thanks for your time in answering,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

I tried the fluidmaster a short while ago and it works flawlessly.

donald

So does the wax ring.

JohnK

Reply to
Porky

The big question is for how long? I have seen wax rings that have probably been in service for 50 years with no issues. Why mess with a substitute for a $2.00 proven easy to use item?

Reply to
George

Thanks for everyone who has responded so far. Progress is only made by change, and there are issues with wax rings that could be improved upon. I have new home construction (5 years old) and, due to a leaky wax seal, I pulled up the toilet to find that the wax seal installed by professional plumbers only rested against the toilet and not the flange. This is most likey due to the professionally, and locally plumbing permit passed, install of a flange that is about 1/4" below the floor. I know I could use a flange spacer, possibly even a thicker wax ring, but since I have to redo a wax ring now I am going to research the new technology. If they work, and the toilet has to be removed for any reason, you don't have to purchase another seal (unlike with wax).

Again, if anyone has installed experience with the waxless seals I, and possibly others, would like to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks again,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

After spending an hour cleaning up the wax mess and ring, I opted for the new "extended" plastic horn and O rings.

A water tight fit at the base of the wc and a water tight fit INTO the

4" waste line. It allows some mis-alignment, and will tolerate a waste line that in time "drops" below the floor line.

The only problem I had was that the bottom O ring will roll off and fall in the waste line when you remove the horn. (If you know this, it's easy to pull the horn up from the bottom with your hand, catching the O ring) But I was playing with the assembly just to see how everything fit and if it could be removed. All the pieces "roll" together and compress as it is installed.

Been in place for a year, and no dampness. Beat the badly leaking wax ring I replaced.

-larry / dallas

Ben wrote:

Reply to
larry

What are they made out of?

Reply to
maradcliff

Which one did you use?

That's a good comment as I see how that could happen. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
Ben

I've had the Fluidmaster wax free seal for several years, and haven't had any leaking or seepage from it. I can't remember when I installed it; possibly in 2001 or 2002.

In the past, I would fight with getting a replacement wax ring to seal; I'd have to make several trips to the hardware store with buying different height wax rings to get one to seal and not leak. (Yeah, probably something I was doing wrong with the install...) Last time, when I had gone through two different wax rings in desperation I gave the Fluidmaster a try, and it worked great.

Hope this helps. Bob.

Reply to
Bob

I've had the Fluidmaster wax free seal for several years, and haven't had any leaking or seepage from it. I can't remember when I installed it; possibly in 2001 or 2002.

In the past, I would fight with getting a replacement wax ring to seal; I'd have to make several trips to the hardware store with buying different height wax rings to get one to seal and not leak. (Yeah, probably something I was doing wrong with the install...) Last time, when I had gone through two different wax rings in desperation I gave the Fluidmaster a try, and it worked great.

Hope this helps. Bob.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for taking the time to let me know of your experience with it. So far, everyone I have talked to that has used it (everyone has used the Fluidmaster), has had positive things to say about it. The ones bringing up issues about it seem to be the ones who have not tried it yet, possibly due to it being "new technology".

I too am tired of dealing with wax rings if there is a better solution.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Since I now have first hand experience with a waxless seal, I wanted to get back to everyone who responded to my original questions.

I decided to go with the Fernco model since it went on the toilet first, which helped me to feel it did securely seal to the toilet. The Fernco

is one piece and also seals as it is forced into the waste pipe. It definately solved the issue of the flange being below the floor and, if the seals hold up, would allow the toilet to move without having to redo the seal (unlike wax).

I did find a larger wax seal that appeared to be thick enough for my area, but the Fernco was only $3.00 more and its installation was straight forward without any mess!

I guess only time will tell, but if it holds up I will never use the wax seals again.

If you have specific questions about my experience with it, please let me know...

Reply to
Ben

i stopped at home depot yesterday to check, the one i used was a $7 Fluidmaster.

-larry

larry wrote:

Reply to
larry