Wax free Seals?

I tried a couple of the new Wax Free Toilet seals and liked the way they worked, but was left wondering what the pros thought? I did question the fact that there doesn't seem to be a seal from the opposite direction? That is in case of backflow it looks like it will leak at the toilet base rather than backup into the toilet. I know that is not supposed to happen, but it seems possible. The cost is probably a factor for some but I use so few that doesn't bother me, besides I let the customer pay.

Reply to
Ron R

"Ron R"

Wax is the standard of the trade. When you mentioned the seal aspect, any toilet must be sealed to the point of being airtight. The waxless rings you mention must seal completely, or they're of no use. Sealing to the point of being airtight means the sewer will back into the bowl and not around the base.

What advantages over wax are these supposed to have?

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Reply to
Ron R

"Ron R"

I'm still suspicous and skeptical.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

They are made by Fluidmaster, go to the website. Looks like it might be ok for making an old toilet work where wax is just not enough. I been wanting to try one but have not.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

They also work well when the infloor heat guys get the tubes or heat pad under the W/C so that he wax melts out. imagine my surprise at a 98 Deg. F. toilet. Took a while to figure out what was going on with the wax as they would turn off the heat the day before I got there, and the stat was hidden in a cabinet. On the 2nd call heat was still on and I danced in my socks to the W/C, felt the bowl, and said aha. this be not warranty. You gets to pay for me and my wax.

Reply to
Dale Wilcox

I've used the wax-free seal a couple of times. I like the wax-free seals. They do a good job. I think more people would use them except that a wax seal costs about $1.00 and those rubber wax-free designs cost around $8.00/each. if you do a bunch of toilets, you're saving a lot of money by installing a toilet the old-fashioned tried & true way.

I don't have my codebook handy. I don't think those wax-free seals are allowed by the new code.

Reply to
Blackbeard

Reply to
bosumo

Bos, I think 12" is what it is suppose to be, but check the installation instructions to be sure. And warm is good enough, you don't need hot.

Reply to
Dale Wilcox

I learned the HARD way. I did a Super market with Wax. All done, I hit the Lavatory Door..Ping, Ping, Ping...Shite.......

You must use Rubber on Ceramic Floors and Wax elseware. The smallest overtighting will break any WC, but with wax you have to be real carefull, too light you get Gas in the Lav. I'm only talking Ceramic Floors, I just put a rubber one in mine, I built myself a real nice Ceramic bath. Rubber gives you leeway with a Helper who just has to to do one when you ain't looking.

I have a Flow straightner, a Vice Grip for a Toilet handle, a Butterknife in the Tank and watch as people take a Dump. I make sure if its too big I tell them to DUMP, FLUSH, DUMP, FLUSH... If they don't they owe me Push ups until I get tired. This stops all clogged WC or you could say, ' No Shit.'

Thank You AL Gore for the 1.6 watersaver. He should of stuck to a Brick in his Tank.

Reply to
pmartin

The problem with breaking WC on ceramic floor is the fit of the hard china of the bowl to the hard ceramic tile. It's an uneven floor that cracks a bowl. The old timers used plumbers putty where the bowl contacts the floor. Another way is to carefully position plastic wedges to avoid stressing the bowl when tightening the closet bolts. You can't take the "rock" out of a bowl on a hard floor by tightening the bolts.

Since the horn of the WC is not supporting the bowl in either case, I can't see how a rubber seals will serve better than wax.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

"Mark Monson"

I'm sorry about the trouble others have had, but I've put many WCs on ceramic and never even come close to breaking one. I've never even heard of anyone actually breaking a toilet through overtightening, though I thought it was possible.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Mike gets a shiny new gold star.

Reply to
Mark Monson

"Mark Monson" <

It's about freaking time.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

i have broke a bowl or two as a helper .experiance should keep you breaking any more.none broke in 24yrs

Reply to
jim donovan