Recommendation for Free-Standing Whole-House Humidifier

The shape, size, and location of our HVAC system will not permit the installation of an add-on humidifer.

Can anyone recommend a good quality and reliable free-standing humidifer that would adequately cover a single floor 1560 sq. ft. home?

TIA

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

How do you propose to move the humidified air to the entire area? What kind of HVAC system do you have?

Reply to
LouB

On Tue 16 Feb 2010 01:26:19a, LouB told us...

The air handler runs at a low speed whenever it's not in a heating or cooling cycle when it runs at higher speeds. There are ceiling fans in every room, except bathrooms, which run 24/7, and the floor plan is quite open. I don't think that will be a problem.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Did pros say it cant be done, you have ductwork. The only reason I can think you cant is all ducts are in areas that freeze? Whole house humidifiers are a pain for many reasons. A real whole house unit with its own duct is made by april air, but the room it empties into gets colder from all the water, I know people that have them and wont use it.

Reply to
ransley

Also, if you do go with a free-standing unit, there are 2 other issues:

1 - They go through water fairly quickly and it becomes a pain to keep refilling them. If you get one, make sure it has a very large tank. 2 - Because all the minerals stay behind, depending on how hard the water is, they get crudded up before very long
Reply to
trader4

We had a water wheel tank unit, I gave it away and got more big plants. Just running the noisy fan cost about 15$ a month and the headache of filling it all the time. The house looks better with plants and no noisy humidifier

Reply to
ransley

I have a lot of plants in my home, they really do help increase humidity. Some even improve the air quality. The five gallons of water every week is going somewhere! The humidfiers can become slimy and breed microrganisms if not kept clean.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Tue 16 Feb 2010 04:32:55p, Phisherman told us...

I think that's a great idea, but I'm not sure it's practical for us. We have five very active felines who like to nibble on plants and dig in the dirt, not to mention the possibility of using it as litter. It would be hard to put a lot of plants out of their reach.

I wonder if putting gallon-sized open (but cat-proofed) containers of water in each room would be of any benefit?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright