building costs

From time to time, 1000ukp/m2 has been mentioned here as a budget figure for new build.

Clearly there are a great number of variables such as number of storeys, type of construction, quality of finish etc.

What should I expect to get for a single storey pitched roof domestic extension on a cleared site?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We've just been answering this exact question!

Assuming it's brick/block, slate or tile roof, normal foundations (not piled or anything otherwise interesting), 950-1000ukp/m2 is about right at the moment, assuming you're getting a general builder to contract for the whole job.

Project managing the whole thing yourself, getting individual labourers and buying cheap materials you might get it down to 800-900. Doing plumbing/kitchen/bathroom work yourself might save you a few thousand.

Reply to
Jim

Wow. Do those high building costs explain why housing costs are so high in UK? Here, eastern Canada, people are buying brand new 3000 to 4000 sq. ft homes (several baths double garage etc.) for around $400,000 to $500,000 including land in a new subdivision. And that's considered, by us oldsters, somewhat luxurious and a tad unecessary for a typical three or four person family!

That's about $100 to $125 per. sq. foot or roughly $1000 to $1200 per sq. metre or roughly 500 to 600 UK pounds? Granted we are talking all electric (often with a propane fireplace) well insulated wood frame construction. And this newer construction, often now with newer systems such as a heat pump, like our older housing which is typically 50 to 100 years plus old, withstands our long stormy winters and windy cold weather and are economical to heat and maintain.

Our house, 1600 sq feet 4 bedroom, simple construction, one bathroom, with an unfinished full in ground basement, 62 by 37 foot roof, built in 1970 (took three years to finish internally while living in it!) cost us less than $40,000, including land. Hence no mortgage! Replacement today would probably be three to five times that. At the lower end of that although if using the same concrete basement and land.

One phenomen in the city here has been buying a 50 to 80 year old home for the sake of the lot or location; demolishing it and using the concrete basement footprint as is, or with an addition, according the size/shape of the lot as the base for a brand new house. In some cases complete replacement. In others leaving one wall standing or some such has been suspected as a device to make the rebuild a 'renovation'!

Relative recently bought a 17 year old 3 bed main floor, plus rentable two bed apartment for around $240,000. Two baths in main unit, double plus (two cars plus work benches) garage etc. Very small lot though. Presently fully rented brings in $1400 per month. Town taxes including water and sewer are about $1500 annually.

Many homes built here during the last 30 years or so, by us middle class types; have either an eight foot concrete in ground basement or a basement that is half out of ground with basement windows above ground level. Thus allowing either a rentable 'basement apartment' or use of the basement for living space. One is not supposed to have bedrooms for example with below ground level windows!

Just a comment. Still surprised that UK does not use more wood frame construction! It goes up fast, lasts for over 100 years, at least. Needs some maintenance yes, but is easy to maintain. And is affordable.

Reply to
stan

We do have timber frame construction. Its the bureaucracy that makes it cost so much, PP, BR, etc.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not totally. The oft-lamented John Prescott's department had an initiative for developing models of 'affordable' housing for £60,000 - usually some form of prefabricated/modular housing.

costs are high, astronomically so in some parts - or plots are simply unavailable because of strict planning laws. Labour is also expensive.

My guess is that about half of new builds are some form of timber frame. Not everyone likes it - it has something of a reputation for wobbly walls.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

About right for what though:-)

Full electrics, plaster, plumbing, floor covering, decoration, rainwater disposal...... or just a weatherproof shell?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The truth is that the costs are dominated by other things, it's probably something like

groundworks & drainage 15-20% bricklaying 15% windows 15% roof 15% scaffolding 5% electrics 5% plumbing 5-10% plastering 3-5% kitchen 5-10% guttering

Reply to
Jim

Canada, 33,000,000 people and 3,855,103 square miles, so 8.5 people per square mile.

UK, 94,251 square miles and 60,000,000 people, or 636.5 people per square mile.

Or to put in another context, you could fit the whole of the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland) in your Yukon province, twice.

Reply to
Phil L

The UK tends to be wet. It takes a lot of effort to make sure a wood frame doesn't rot in our weather. People also like brick built houses.

Reply to
dennis