Reputable Builder - Not Strictly DIY

I am looking to start a two-storey house extension in the Spring and am a complete novice so all the work will be done by the building company. The list of builders in the phone book is bewildering (at least to me). Can anyone recommend a reputable company, either national or NW England-based? I live in Bolton. Should I be looking for an affiliation, or association membership?

Finally, after a search on this group I seem to have arrived at a rough figure for costs to be somewhere in the region of £1000 m2 for both storeys based on external ground footprint, complete apart from decoration. Given that, I would expect prices to be in the region of £20,000 for a two-storey extension, footprint of 20 m2. Does this sound like a good starting point?

Grateful for any advice.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

If each floor is 20m² then the price will usually be based (roughly) on 40m². Depending on the quality and location, you can look at anywhere between £550 and £950 per m², so that would place yours at between £22k and £38k. I suspect your estimate is a little on the low side.

Maybe the person who gave you your £1000 figure was not including VAT? This would take it to nearer what I would expect.

HTH, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

You might be lucky but generally the good builders will be booked up until summer by now.

Can't help out with any recommendations, but it is always good to ask the builders for some references when you contact them. If they are reluctant to give out any then steer well clear. Make sure that the references are for recently completed work.

A number of friends have recently started/completed single storey extensions and £20k would be a good price for a single storey, for a two storey extension you can double it. From what I gather this price will generally not include internal fittings, e.g. if you are planning a new kitchen etc. Budget at least another 5-10k depending upon your tastes.

cheers

David

Reply to
David M

Presumably you're using an architect etc to design the extension? A decent local one should have his own 'tame' builder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Now double it for the second storey, and add 50% again for contingency....

£60k.

Thats for EVERYTHING incudig interior decor and furnsiheing, and celaning u teh mess afterwards.

Aim for 30-35k, but be ready to go over that.

Shell alone you MIGHT get for 20K - i.e. no plumbing, electrics decoration, carpets,ground repair, internal cupboards and shelves etc etc

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher