Fondled a Festool Domino

Page 3 of 3
Ever make anything besides face frames? Ever do anything where the three inch long pocket screw gash wouldn't look good?

And I don't see how it would

Well to be fair, you have to use the same technique to align the pieces when attaching the pocket screws. You still need to align the pieces. The Pocket screws would have a great advantage over the Domino when it comes to clamping and glue up. When the screws go in the piece is finished.

Personally I se it as equal to anything else and I do make a lot of face frames with pocket hole screws. The advantage with the screws is the saved time during and glue up and not having to leave the pieces in clamps. The down side to screws is that they do not provide as strong of a joint as loose tennons and they leave an exposed hole that sometimes has to be delt with.

Comparing the little biscuits the Porter Cable biscuit joiner cuts to the Domino tenons is not correct.
And I don't see how it would

Its very, very easy to line up the pencil marks and have the mortises exactly where you want them. And the Domino has built in pins to use for alignment purposes so no pencil marks necessary. The fence is adjustable on the Domino so you can use it to position the cutter. You can also cut slightly oversize mortises to make alignment very easy. Once a loose tenon is glued in, the fact its hole is slightly too big isn't going to compromise the strength enough to make a difference.
and hold the Domino just right (or build

Many pieces of furniture such as tables, desks, chairs, chests use mortise and tenon to assemble the parts.
But in the types of projects I do, I see the

Pocket screws and biscuits on a chair? Pocket screws or biscuits to attach the drawer dust covers into a bedroom chest of drawers?

Face frames would be where it excels. I do not have a Kreg because I just don't like the idea of exposed screws on my furniture pieces. Even if they are on the back side. Carpentry and construction, I use screws all the time. Nice furniture? Not for me. I have a biscuit joiner but just have never liked it for nice furniture joints. Making panels, yes for alignment and gluing.
On Mar 9, 8:07 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

No, I wouldn't use pocket screws on a chair. :) I might use screws inside a chest of drawers when they won't be seen. It doesn't bother me to have pocket holes on the back of a face frame, but if it bothers you, I can understand. Thanks for all the additional info on the domino (and for the other responders). Now I have a clearer idea of the value of it. I wasn't trying to bash it or anything, just get a bigger understanding of why people are excited about it.

I just use biscuits for gluing up panels, I don't like it for joints either.