First experience with Polyshades

In refinishing a huge quartersawn oak and ply bookcase for the local library (gratis, but fun none the less) I came up with one plywood side slightly lighter and yellower than the rest of the cabinet. In order to get even stain, I had given a shellac wash to the cabinet, which made addtional stain difficult.
A quick coat of Polyshades (polyurethane finish with some colorant added in) on just the lighter side did the trick nicely; easy to control the additional color, and a first coat of finish to boot. I had never tried this before (not a good finisher yet) but it has earned a place in the bag of tricks. And you see any runs that will develop immediately -- you would have to be blind to miss them
Matthew
For the "right color" it's tough because of it's color range, but I did get used to the Cherry! But you have to give up some of the depth of the wood!
I made some cabinet doors just to test stains and colors, I used a Poly shade over a Red Oak and over a Golden Oak, even over a white pine. You can do some really interesting things with both!