My First Inlay Experience

I bought a butterfly template (Jasper) from woodcraft and tried it out tonight.

Wow! It was easier than I thought it would be. I'm using the inlay kit with the removable bushing on the router.

My question is : I noticed that I had to either square the corners of the work piece or round the corners of the inlay. Which method is preferred. On my practice piece I squared the corners of the work, but I thought that if a mistake was to be made, it would be better to make it on the inlay ie.round the corners.

What do you do?

Reply to
stoutman

Glad to see you liked my suggestion. I prefer using a single-edge razor blade to cut the corners - they look better squared off. The razor blade aligns along the edge nicely and then simply push down (if with the grain) or use a very small tack hammer to tap the blade into cross-grain to make the cuts.

Wow! It was easier than I thought it would be. I'm using the inlay kit with the removable bushing on the router.

My question is : I noticed that I had to either square the corners of the work piece or round the corners of the inlay. Which method is preferred. On my practice piece I squared the corners of the work, but I thought that if a mistake was to be made, it would be better to make it on the inlay ie.round the corners.

What do you do?

Reply to
BobS