Fein Vacuums: Auot-Start Load?

Page 1 of 2
I should be getting a Fein Turbo II this weekend. I've been thinking about how I will use it, and for most jobs, I won't want to use the auto-start feature. I assume the load runs off the same cord as the vacuum, and I have my shop wired specifically so my vacuum runs off a different breaker from my machines.
It would still be nice to be able to turn the vacuum on & off remotely. I have another vacuum that I run with a foot pedal switch like this:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageT65
It occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote that uses the auto-start feature. For example, if it is sensitive enough, I could use a switch connected to a small load resistor or a night-light bulb. I've got plenty of wire & even a nice "pendant" switch that I could use. However, I don't want to have to run an extra 100 W light bulb. Does anyone have any idea what the minimum load requirment is to activate the auto-start?
Thanks!
Doug White

5W. It'll be stated right on the vacuum next to the outlet.
Bonus data: The max load is around 2000W. That's harder to find.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

Excellent! Thanks! That means a 7W night light bulb will work just fine.
Doug White

Why do you need to use the autostart feature? Leave the vacuum switched on and plug it directly into a foot activated switch. For that, you don't need any load at all.
RE: Subject
A classic case of where a magnetic motor starter on the table saw with an extra aux contact to control the Fein not only improves safety but simplifies the control circuitry.
Lew

Triac? Simple.
"Robatoy" wrote:
Triac? Simple. ------------------- Not quite, no mechanical isolation.
Lew
wrote in message

That's definitely an option. I have one on another vac, but it's fairly small & light, and tends to move around a lot. There are only a few different ones on the market. Once you've eliminated the momentary contact & variable speed models, I've found the following:
(Amazon.com product link shortened) (This is the one I have, and you have to press down on one end to turn it on, and on the other end to turn it off, which is a bit fussy. The cord has a stacking plug, so both the switch & the tool plug in at the outlet.)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)- Running/dp/B000LJNJOY/ref=pd_cp_hi_0 (A bit larger, and appears to be plastic. Tool plugs into the back, which isn't quite as tidy. Several reviews say it's light and/or flimsy.)
http://lectricair.com/products/lectricair-products/foot-switches/alternate - action-foot-switch/ (This one is pneumatic. The rubber bulbs tend to degrade & leak, but replacements are cheap)
All of them could be bolted to a weighted plate, but it would be nice if that wasn't necessary.
The one I have has been reliable. I suppose I could get a second and make two plates & fix both of them, but the rocking action is a little annoying. The plug setup is nice.
Anyone know of any I've missed?
Thanks!
Doug White
wrote in message

This one works well for me: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html
or : http://tinyurl.com/ylewdap
(bottom of the page)
Max
wrote in message

I'm looking for a FOOT switch. This is for a vacuum, which I believe has it's own speed control. My experience is that 2 speed controls in series is usually a bad idea, even if one is set full on. The noise from one causes the other to freak out.
I just want a switch that turns full on with one push, and off with a second. Not variable speed, and not something I have to stand on to operate, i.e. momentary contact.
Doug White
wrote in message

Uh...........It's at the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE. It's NOT variable speed. It's NOT momentary contact. Step on it to turn it on; step on it to turn it off. It doesn't get much simpler than that. I have two of them. They work just fine.
Max
wrote in message

Sorry about that, I didn't scroll down far enough. Several reviews claim these are fairly light, and that they tend to move around, or get dragged by the cords. Do you find that is an issue?
Doug White
wrote in message

On the bottoms of the switches I put some material that I bought to line the shelves in my RV. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/grip-it-shelf-cushion-liners/6901 I think the Borgs have it too.
Max
On 10/1/10 12:40 PM, Doug White wrote:

Yes, and I already had to repair it. But I got it when it was like 10 bucks with free shipping, when I bought a bigger item. I think it's worth it and I've thought about screwing it down to something heavier or replacing the bottom with some steel and a rubber pad.
BTW, it's this... <http://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html>
--

-MIKE-

[elided]

http://www.linemaster.com/Industrial/Footswitch.aspx
axirr
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in wrote in message

Thanks! The Aquiline near the bottom looks very nice. These are just switches, so I'd have to wire up my own cord(s). I'd really like to find a cord with a stacking plug and the "hot" wire interrupted. That's how the one I have now is setup, and it reduces the number of cords running around a bit. Maybe I could get a replacement cord for the one I have & install it on the Aquiline switch.
Doug White

I don't know if you saw them, but if you scroll down far enough, there's a double and a triple Linemaster device activation box. Or maybe you might just want to go simple with a switched outlet. They have a switch in place of a one of the regular outlet plugs and can be wired to turn the adjacent plug on and off. Install one of these into a regular outlet box, plug a vacuum into it and flick the switch when you want it on.
wrote in message

If you dig deep enough, they list exactly what I was looking for:
http://tinyurl.com/2annw8v
This is a fairly heavy (13 oz) all metal switch, with a push-on/push-off activation. It isn't obvious, but the Model 971-DC3JM has a little link next to it to a note that says it comes with an 8 foot cord and the 3 prong adapter plug that you can put in series with the power plug to the tool.
The trick is that they list it, but no one seems to sell them. Allied Electronics sells the plastic version:
http://tinyurl.com/27o5h9y
but this weighs about 1/4 what the all-metal one does. I have a query in to the company to see if they sell direct, or can recommend a distributor.
As an aside, I just got my Fein Turbo II vacuum, and although it is very quiet, the switch configuration is really poor. It's hidden below a lip, and you have to operate it by feel unless you want to kneel down. I'm _definitely_ going to put a foot switch on this puppy.
Doug White
wrote in message

I called the company, and they sell direct. ~ $60 for the all metal # 971-DC3JM with the stacking plug switch cord. That's a good bit more than a lot of the foot switches on the market, but it appears to be a much better switch. I'll know in a few days...
Doug White

If the Fein works like the Festool, my 14W floresent lamp will not trigger the auto on. My Makita 12v charger will trigger it to turn on if there is a battery being charged, otherwise no.
IF you are concerned about blowing a breaker with both a tool and the vac coming on at the same time, the Festool has a delay to start a couple of seconds after the tool is turned on.