Re: Fein

finally copped the hump with DeWalt ( I think I was in denial before, they

> were fashionable) after my cordless packed up for the 3rd time and they > wanted to charge me £35 for replacing the little plastic bit that changes > speeds. I have an old Hitachi that has outlasted my DeWalt by a long way, > even after some dope dropped it in a bucket of uncured PU foam. > Been hunting around for a new Cordless and I have been impressed by the > specs on the Fein Cordless drills. > > anyone have any experience of them? > >

Sadly not had any experience with the Feins, but if you're up in that price bracket then have a look at Milwaukee drills.

I have an Atlas Copco, which is their parent company & identical to the equivalent Milwaukee model, and I love it. Built to last.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Assuming it's using stock size cells (sub C), I'd be suspicious of claims of high amp/hour batteries. They don't tend to last as well as good quality 'standard' capacity ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The 3Ah are NiMH as apposed to NiCD in the more commonly available Cordless. If that's any help?

Reply to
Simon

That's right. Top quality NiMh sub C's can now do 3300mA/h and pretty good discharge urrents - 60-70A. Top line Nicad is 2600mA/h IFRC. But those will do over 150A for *very* short bursts...

There is a move to phase out Nicads in favour of NiMh because of cadmium recycling problems. It is likley that most new tools will come equipped with NiMh.

They do suffer from shorter lifetimes and somewhat greater propensity to go flat if left idle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have experience of a Fein *corded* screwdrivers. This is like a drill, only slower, and has a clutch the engages when you push it in. Power is no problem, plenty more at the other end of the cord. The things are bulletproof, having lasted more than a decade of daily use, dropping, and kicking around in the back of the van at a cabinetmakers. If the quality of these extends to their other products, go for it.

You already know about the price, right?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Simon,

No experience of the Fein but have had the Panasonic for some time now. Nothing I have ever used is comparable. Feels the best, performs the best, 3 Ah x 2 batteries, intelligent charger etc. The ratcheted chuck took a bit of getting used to but no probs. Compared to my Dewalt - no contest.

Should have test reports on the Panasonic and the Fein . If you are interested drop me a line. Rgds

Noel

snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net

Reply to
Noel Hegan