Hitachi Power tools

Hi I posted this above in another thread but it may not be seen, so will try here. I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita 4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's. does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good as/better than Makita/Bosch?
Thanks Jim

I have a nice little Hitachi router it is quite old but hasn't been used all that much. Most Japanese stuff is first class.

I have a Hitachi circular saw which is relatively new - has a diecast base, electric brake and good adjustment.
I also have a quite old Hitachi rechargeable drill which has stood the test of time.
I went on a jigsaw search a few months ago and eventually settled on a Bosch GST100BCE. This has been well reviewed and works very well. The main point that I've found is that it's possible to cut very well controlled lines that are not possible on DIY grade jigsaws.
THe price point is similar to Hitachi and Makita in the 100-110 range
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
I have quite a few hitachi power and cordless tools,and recentley purchased this jigsaw,bad news it really is just about the worst jigsaw I have ever used.returned it to dealer and he replaced it without question for bosch model,and then rold me had quite a few returns on this model,it would not cut straight on 30mm worktops so did not evem try on 40mm
Well, thanks for the replies folks. I guess I was rather hoping for a good review on the Hitachi 'cos I've been led to believe that they really are the puppy's privates. Now, of course, someone else has told me that Atlas Copco are the best of the lot! I think I need to just make a decision.... Bosch; Makita. Bosch; Makita. Bosch; Makita. And then there's a circular saw in the wings!

been
I have an Atlas Copco BSPE100XL jigsaw and it really is a good piece of kit.
Not easy to source, though, I only came across it because local tool shop is D&M Tools and they sell quite a lot of A-C stuff. The Milwaukee brand is now being rolled out here, and it is in many cases the identical tool to Atlas Copco.
-- Richard Sampson
writes apropos nothing,

Nothing generally does make a lot of sense.
--
dave @ stejonda

For what you want to do, it is eminently sensible to buy something of good quality, use it in the business and write it down; then purchase from the company at the end as appropriate.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Jim,
Have a look at www.ukworkshop.co.uk for more info and opinion on all aspects of tools and woodworking.
Rgds
Noel
noel dot hegan at virgin dot net
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
saying something like:

I have a 110v Altas Copco SDS drill - on closer examination, it's actually an AEG. I wonder if AC actually make any kit, or just rebadge stuff.

A bit of Googling around, comparing PDFs of "owners manuals" and the like, followed by acquiring two-of-one and one-of-the-other, was enough to persuade me that AEG-AtlasCopco-Milwaukee are multiple brands/sources for the very same thing, in the case of the "PES-12" non-impact drivers at the very least. I seem to remember that AEG owns Atlas Copco, while Milwaukee (apologies to both original inhabitants and fans of Alice Cooper's cameo appearance in Wayne's World for misspelling ;-) is the brand under which they're sold in the USA, but also (possibly against the intent of the European marketing people) at sometimes-keener prices in the UK.
Regardless of the brand, I've been *very* happy with the build quality and the decently-managed charger on these; but cheap they weren't.
HTH - Stefek

Cooper's
Think it's the other way round - Atlas Copco owns AEG Electric Power Tools (completely separate from other AEG appliances, I think). AC are a pretty big company.
Although the casing looks identical for some AEG and AC products they are often different specs, AEG aimed at the "Trade" market, AC aimed at "Industrial". Milwaukee and AC products seem to be identical in spec.
I've got an AC 9.6v cordless drill and a mains jigsaw. Can't fault either of them.
-- Richard Sampson
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@hp.com saying something like:

Same here - I'd buy more AEG/AtlasCopco.

Heh. 15quid at a bootsale.

Probably a neutral factor in the decision, but this quarter's edition of Axminster's "Review" magazine landed on the doorstep this morning, containing an article about Makita's manufacturing facility in Telford - apparently the last power tool manufacturer in the UK.
The 4340 is made there...
-- Richard Sampson

Makita are made in the UK??? If that's the case, I'm old fashioned enough to say it makes the difference and that's where my money will be going. Thanks for that.
Jim

difference
yup - I was surprised too.
It does just appear to be the top-end tools though. Pictures of assembly lines with rows and rows of alloy gearbox castings. 4340 specifically mentioned as one of the UK models.
-- Richard Sampson

of
Telford -

Sounds like,me an assembly plant rather than manufacturing plant.

edition
assembly
Nope.
According to the article,it's "Makita Manufacturing Europe Ltd" and there is a and engineered production area and a separate assembly area.
-- Richard Sampson

is
Even if it's "just" an assembly plant, it employs people and some of the money I pay for it will go into our economy. I have to admit to shopping around for the best price, but my locally owned tool store almost met that so has an order and I should be seeing the saw on Friday. Thanks everybody for all your help. Those who have a shed full of tools prolly think the purchase of a new jigsaw a fairly mundane subject, but it helps to be able to get a feel for what others use and think; and it's hardly an easy subject to broach in the pub.
Jim

It doesn't matter. Value is being added and hence there is a contribution to the economy.