Extra cash at HD automated checkup

We don't in Georgia, either. It's just that we are free to choose whether to drive to the self-service or full-service pumps. Based on the choices most of us have made, there are fewer opportunities for the full-service ones, but they are not hard to find. But I'm happy for you if you feel relieved to turn over the burden of that decision to the legislators of your state, who surely must know better than you what you need. ;-)

Reply to
alexy
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Like...seat belts?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©

I agree that competency is not the issue. I suspect it has more to do with continuing to provide a low level service job. And the level of service I get is definitely low. Typically there is 1 jockey making a half hearted attempt to work 8 pumps. As for tips, I don't know if they are allowed or not, but either way the jockeys don't earn them IMO. I'd rather pump it myself.

Art

"Larry Jaques" wrote :

[snip]
Reply to
Wood Butcher

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:25:39 GMT, alexy pixelated:

I just moved up here and found that to be the case. It doesn't bother me any. What bothers me is that CA was heavily burdened by clean air laws and return vents in the pump handles to keep the stinky fumes in the system, but they let any doofus pump it. More times than not, the spring-loaded seals caught sideways and the vapor escaped anyway. We paid more down there for the extra goodies whose effects weren't even enforced.

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:19:56 -0400, Trent© pixelated:

Since I have to pay for insurance and hospitals, I want you to have a seat belt on and a helmet on a bike. I'd prefer that they allow those who chose not to wear them to also opt out of the insurance and hospitalization plans so we didn't have to pay for them. (fat chance of that thanks to bleeding heart liberals) I am VERY happy to let someone who doesn't want to live to die quickly and I have a durable power of attorney (hmm, is that still valid here in OR?) which tells doctors to let me croak should I be too badly damaged or vegetablized in a wreck. (Fat chance of that due to conservatives.)

What a fine mess you've gotten us into, Ollie! ;)

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's also nice to pass on the task when it's January, raining like the devil with 50 mph winds; when you're dressed up for some speshul event; or, when you've got a very young one in the car and certainly shouldn't leave him or her while you go in to pay.

As to the higher cost for the no-self-serve that some claim, in northern Oregon, it's only cheaper in the border towns of Washington (all self-serve)- once you travel north for 30-40 miles and hit the mid-section and then Seattle area, it's the same or more expensive than the Portland area.

Sure there are times when the service seems slow, but those are fairly infrequent. I'm in favor of the system -the folks personing the pumps obviously need the work and I'd rather not do the task myself. I pumped my own for upwards of 25 years and can't say I miss it in the least.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

These are nice points but they don't address the issue of having no choice and being prohibited from pumping your own.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I'm not sure if you would be prohibited 100% or just for the "masses". I don't know that pump jockeys have a very intensive training program, but today, they may.

There are some people that should not be trusted with such a skill. Perhaps if you went to a particular station on a regular basis the owner would let you pump yourself. Or just take the 90 day training program and get your own certification. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

90-day training program for gas pumping certification?!?! I am deathly afraid of having my car filled by anyone who needs 90 days to learn how. If I can train my dog to do it in three weeks, do you think that would be okay?
Reply to
alexy

There is another method. My wife just says "my car needs gas". Works for her every time. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah, mine has a similar lap dog .

Reply to
alexy

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:28:02 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC pixelated:

So THAT's what it's like in Upper OR, is it? I'm sure glad I don't live there. We get gentle rains here. (so far) Seattle just got really HAMMERED, didn't it? I'm glad I don't live in WA, either. My buddy passed through the Olympia rainforest last spring and said it got 600+ inches annually. I'm happy for our meager 32", I tell ya. It's also drier here than LoCal, despite double the rainfall. Nice! I'm actually looking forward to the rainy season this year. Can you imagine THAT from an longtime Californicator like me? I still can't.

It's cheaper at the highest-priced full-service stations here than at the cheapest self-serve in CA, so I'm happy.

Ditto on all counts, Owie.

---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In Oregon, the station get's fined for letting you pump your own gas.

Reply to
kenR

If you are riding a motorcycle and look at them sternly they back off and hand you the hose to fill it yourself. I have never once had one of the high school dropouts manning the gas pumps in Orygun insist on filling my MC gas tank.

True story:

We were headed home to California after spending a week traveling around Orygun in our camper. We stopped in Brookings headed south on our way out of Orygun to get some groceries and trade in our weeks worth of empty beverage cans.

Being a space efficient guy, I had crushed the beverage cans, leaving the Orygun recycling notice visible.

I took the cans into a store in Brookings to recycle them, and the Orygon bimbo at the counter said "We can't give you a refund for these cans, you have ruined them, how could they ever refill them."

I asked her to call her manager, who fortunately was a transplant from California and had at least a double digit IQ. He told her that they melted the cans down and that it didn't matter that they were bent. That's why it takes 90 days to train them.

Rico

Reply to
Rico

Shouldda told her that they puff back out when filled. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I see your idiot and raise you. When I moved to Orygun 6 years ago I was flabbergasted at the way many people give directions to somewhere. They don't know the street names or even the compass points. "Turn left at the light after the blue building with the big rabbit statue out front, then turn right 3 streets before the bridge . . . " I thank the gods for my Thomas Guide every time I venture into unfamiliar territory around here.

Art

- 19 Different Servers! =-----

Reply to
Wood Butcher

It ain't just Orygon. "Turn when you get to the place where that big oak tree was that got cut down a few years ago. Then go up the road a piece to where the old school house burnt down and hang a left. You can't miss it."

Reply to
Silvan

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:52:03 -0700, Rico pixelated:

-snip-

Hoboy. She would have worked out well in a MickeyD's. They don't have numbers on their cash registers, just pictures.

And I guess the last 6'9" 350lb guy on a $25,000 scoot with a $3,000 lacquer job showed that pump jockey who was boss, eh?

---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I heard you raised the average IQ of both states when you moved :):):)

Don't get me wrong, I like Oregon and was born there, but it is definitely in a different time zone. Mostly good differences, but different.

On Topic: They have a lot of wood.

Dick

Reply to
Rico

Hi Tom,

Well, to paraphrase a recent President, it depends on whet your definition of "stealing" is. :-)

Is it stealing to take something that doesn't belong to you? Yes.

Is it stealing to find something that has been lost and keep it for yourself when there is no way to determine who the true owner is? Moral dilemma time for some; a black and white issue for the rest with most probably coming down on the side of "keep it". Most states have laws regarding lost items and in many places, you turn the item over to the police and after so many days, if no one has claimed it, it belongs to the finder.

which

hundred

Unfortunately, many moral concepts have been little more than concepts in Western Culture. For example, museums throughout Europe and America (the British Museum, most notably) are filled with artifacts taken from around the world without regard to legal ownership. There is a debate over whether the archeologists who collected these artifacts were plunderers or preservers. See:

Is it any wonder that this debate is going on over a few dollars?

Weldon

Reply to
Weldon Wilson