Extra cash at HD automated checkup

Page 6 of 7
Its not a theft. Someone left it there. It belongs to the person that found it.
message

where
"talking

NAL, but I believe it belongs to the store! You're not in a public place.
Mike
If I found 5 bucks on the floor of the store, I wouldnt give it to some idiot clerk who's going to pocket it anyway. Its goin in my pocket.
wrote:

found
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:22:11 GMT, "Michael Daly"

Exactly. Its an over-or-short of a cash register. This one happens to be unmanned.
HD...or the clerk, depending on their company policy...will be responsible for any shortage. Any overages over the year offset these kinds of shortages.
The money belongs to the store...to be refunded to the proper person if possible. If that's not possible, their company policy will determine how the money is directed.
Most small companies include this kind of money as either Other Income or Other Expense.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Trent wrote:

If it was change left by the previous customer, it is not an overage or shortage of the register. The register did exactly what it was supposed to do. The money belongs to the customer that left it or the next person to pick it up (depending on how you look at it). It definitely does not belong to the BORG.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Tell us exactly how you know the machine didn't malfunction.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Trent wrote:

I don't. Hence the word IF. You know, the VERY FIRST WORD in my post. Re-read and try again you smug prick :-)
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Where did my request reference any of your post?...you illiterate dick.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

found
Actually, in Maine, it is a crime. Title 17A Section 356 - Theft of lost, mislaid or mistakenly delivered property A person is guilty of theft if: He obtains or exercises control over the property of another which he knows to have been lost or mislaid or to have been delivered under a mistake as to the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or amount of the property
--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me
says...

Not a lawyer (thank goodness) either, but I suspect the Maine law also must have some clause in it that would require said property to have some means of identifying the rightful owner. i.e. if one finds a wallet with say $5 in it, taking that wallet is theft. However, if one finds $5 lying on the sidewalk with no means to identify the rightful owner, then I suspect there is a clause that this condition is not a crime.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:48:36 GMT, Mark & Juanita

But this money wasn't found laying on the street. It was found in a cash dispenser which is owned by HD. The money belongs to HD...to be dispersed as per their company policy.
Again...there is no way of knowing for sure that the money was left by a customer. It could just as easily been a mechanical malfunction.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Trent wrote:

One point I think everyone misses in this is that the money isn't owned by HD, by Joe Hapless, by the OP or anyone else. It's owned by the US Treasury. They just let us hold onto some of it for awhile before it goes home to be destroyed and recycled.

is also a crime to speed in Maine. Do you EVER do that?
Dave Hall
Boy, we are judgmental, aren't we? This posting was done primarily to make people a little bit more attentive and alert when shopping at HD.
FYI: the story is a short one. I decided to post what I liked to say, not necessarily ALL the issues. Of course I expected reactions like "thieving" etc., just standard thing for Americans to do.
But, to calm you down:
No. one: "collecting" does not and did not imply KEEPING the money. At both times I showed the cash to the attendant who, in her best Spanish/English told me: "keep it. I don't know who forgot that" , respectively at the second store, said to me: "Thanks! This happened a few times more. It's "just" two bucks and it's like finding it on the street. There are no customers around now - who can tell who's the owner. Take it home". And so I kept the cash. (And next time I may even forget to check the slot).
No. two, I am very reluctant to just return the money to any attendant (or "store manager" or "supervisor")here in South Florida. Period. It may be different in other parts of the States.
And boy, do I sleep good.
HNB
message

where
"talking

That should shut up all the holier-than-thous, but it won't :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:26:47 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Do YOU believe that story? lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
pixelated:

Fact: People who don't pay attention lose money and other things.

Atta Boy! Your karma's good.

I keep my conscience clear by asking the clerk. If they don't want it, I keep it and consider it my karma for the last couple bucks -I- forgot there or somewhere else.
------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! ------------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Lost and Found
An angel left some money sit Upon the counting table A good thief came to claim it Saying, "Now I will be able to buy a good thing for myself and maybe I'll get Cable."
An angel left some money sit Upon the counting table A bad thief came to claim it Saying, "Now I will be able to buy a good thing for myself a half an hour with Mabel."
An angel left some money sit Upon the counting table A good man came to claim it Saying, "Now I will be able To buy a good thing for the poor To make those poor more able."
An angel left some money sit Upon the counting table An old man came and picked it up And, turning to the angel Said, "I believe you dropped this sir Upon this counting table."
The angel spread apart his wings The old man held his ground They left together right away And didn't make a sound
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:28:08 -0400, Tom Watson

So you're saying the penalty for pocketing the found money is death?
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Yes, I think that is what they are saying.
You know, _Pride_ used to be the worst Sin.