Storing extra shingles?

3 bundles of 22 extra shingles the roofer left me say

Do Not Double Stack

  1. This must mean the pallet, not the bundle itself?

  1. Are the good and bad places to store the shingles in case they're ever needed? eg. basement, garage floor, over garage ceiling if I can hump them up a ladder thru a trapdoor?

Reply to
Ron Hardin

I would believe so.

I put mine in the basement craw space along with extra tile etc.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Guess it means the pallet since there are an bunch of them to a pallet.

Store them anywhere they are dry, evenly supported and laying flat. If across rafters over the garage ceiling lay a scrap board across the rafter for them to lay on.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I 'think' that it says on the bundles how many bundles high, not sure now.

Just did a roofing job this spring. Used some leftovers from a job 20 years ago. I had them stored flat on a concrete floor in a shed built into a hill. I am sure there was a moisture problem as they were right back against the hill foundation. No problem, no sign of deterioration. From that I would say store flat and someplace cool. I wouldn't put them in an attic or ceiling due to the heat problem. They could seal to themselves. Two bundles of my new shingles had done just that.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Over time the shingles on the roof fade, so the ones you store won't match anyway!

Reply to
twfsa
  1. Probably.
  2. Store them outside, but protected from moisture. That way, their color might fade almost as much as the shingles on the roof. So when you need to replace a few, you won't have an area of a different color.
Reply to
nielloeb

twfsa wrote:

True but they are still useable. I used basically white shingles with my 'dual brown' new ones. Looks great! How? Because I used the old white ones for the starter strips. Saved buying a square of the new ones. Common practice up here. There are always a few bundles left over from roofing jobs. Also used for sheds, for weed control (haven't done that myself), etc. No point in throwing away useable material.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Won't work unless you store them exposed to the sun. The only way that would happen is to spread them out individually. Left in the bundle they won't fade.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K