Exterior shutters, Anderson Bay Window?

(...)

Heh! Had to happen eventually, I suppose.

(...)

Well Dad, :)

That was the failure mechanism. Because fluid was not vented around the lifting cylinder, the force was enough to bend the piston. I figured it was a writeoff.

My factory - second Bosch hammer drill goes into masonry very quickly. Almost 'spooky fast'.

I didn't think to do that though. Neat idea.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ayup.

It's amazing that happened, huh?

That's what this one is doing compared to the rillycheaparse Chiwanese drill it replaced.

This is how it's done in the quarries, and has been for many centuries.

abrasively and hitting it with a cold chisel is another way.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The brackets supporting the new front wheels and the sub chassis that holds the new lifting jack. (I didn't 'design' the crane mount plates, I just plunked it down and scribed and drilled.)

It is all painted orange so it's pretty impossible to tell which are factory parts and which are my little additions.

This is a little clearer:

've got a monster 400 KB picture that shows the sub- frame very clearly; all the CADCAM pieces TIGed together, before painting. I think I'm about 50% beyond the limit for patience of our woodworking friends, so I will refrain from posting and linking that picture.

Even better!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

I admit I was amazed but in retrospect I understand how, by pushing that cylinder far beyond it's limits I caused it to fail.

Lesson learned. :)

(...)

Yup. If you've ever used a 'star drill' and sledge, the hammer drills appear miraculous.

had the time for that level of control.

Also a continuous diamond saw of both circular and belt varieties. Very nifty and astonishingly fast.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Since there is no limiter, I wonder at what actual tonnage that thing failed.

No kidding.

And not at all cheap to rent.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

I don't know. The numbers I get by calculating the size of the slab should not have caused failure even in 'dead lift'.

Figure 36" wide and 48" long at 4" thick (or four cubic feet) times 150 lbs cubic foot is ca. 600 lbs.

Weird.

(...)

The little 4-1/2" diamond blades are cheap and quite competent, though.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yabbut, how tightly was it locked to the adjacent blocks?

Was there a hydraulic lock to the wet earth below it, perhaps? If it were dry, the few sledge blows would have broken it loose, but the wet slaps may have made it lock to the wet soup below. At least it looked pretty wet in the pic.

Yeah, the wonders that a little $10 HF 4-1/2" grinder can perform are too numerous to list.

I just got done watching "Astronaut Farmer". Wonderful flick. Highly recommended. Thanks, Netflix.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Butted on end but free on three sides. I don't get it.

Nup. Practically no contact with earth.

I'd used my slate bar to pry one end up, braced it then slid the jack about 20% in to the center of the slab. I really should have seen *less* than a 'dead lift' load, not more. Weird.

(...)

Right on. Netflix rocks.

--Winston

Reply to