dumb miter saw question

I'm thinking about a 12" miter saw and wonder if I can use blades from my 10" radial arm saw on it?
geodav wrote:

Assuming the arbor size is the same, you probably could. The question is *why?* You're giving up the extra cutting depth of the 12" by using a 10" blade.
The reason most people have for not buying 12" saw is because they are much more expensive than 10" saws. If you're already paying for the 12, what's another 5-10 bucks for the bigger combo blade?
--

-MIKE-

You could use radial arm blades if the arbors are the same dia. like Mike said but the hook angle for a radial arm blade and the hook angle for a miter saw blade are not the same. The reason has to do with the motion the saw moves relative to the work. If you use one on the other be aware that the saw may want to dig into the work more aggressively than it should or more than you are expecting it to.
If you're that pressed for money that you feel you need to use the radial arm blades on your miter saw then buy a 10" and save.
G.S.

Gordon Shumway wrote:

See, this is why I still lurk here. I never knew this. I just researched it and read more on the subject. I now, will be buying some RAS specific blades. Thanks, Gordon.
--

-MIKE-

Because I have a couple of really nice 10" blades from my radial arm saw.

It is probably doable but not recommended as the guard is designed specifically for a 12" blade. You'd be better served purchasing new 12" blades.

Wow.. damn good point and one that just hadn't occurred to me..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Doubtful... Most 12" blades have a 1" arbor hole and most 10" blades have a 5/8" arbor hole.