dresser is done!

Page 1 of 2

Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this month). Most people would have probably made a crib, but this is what SHE wanted. It is of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy). It is made of maple and has cherry drawer pulls that I made using two different bits on the router.
I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable list of the things I did wrong, but...
Let me know what you think.
Thanks to those that helped along the way!
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm

Nicely done, Stout.
Thank you.
stoutman wrote:

Tis a handsome piece of work. The way the handle color contrasts with the rest is really nice.
Joe Barta
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
Excellent! Did you sign or place your mark on it? How about carving, burning, or tattooing the baby's name, date of birth, something, on it somewhere! For all my personal projects, I like to add some kind of mark, date, or note relative to the inspiration of a special piece.

Thank you.

No, but thanksfor reminding me. I usually sign it in ink (sharpie) under the poly. I have to find a place on the bottom.
stoutman wrote:

It looks *great*! I suspect that someday a grandchild will be using it too.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Thank you. I hope it lasts that long!

What, no picture of the birds-eye drawer backs?
What did you end up doing for knobs. Did you end up making them yourself or are those the oak ones from Rockler?
Josh
stoutman wrote:

You made me chuckle!
No, I left those out.

I bought a little slab of 5/4 cherry cut off and made it with a core box and round over bits.
I tried to copy the Rockler design, but I don't think I even got close. They came out looking a little boxy, but they also have a childish feel to them which is fitting.
Well, at any rate, it came out really nice. Good job.
stoutman wrote:

Thank you!
stoutman wrote:

Excellent piece. Whew, took balls to show a different type of drawer construction in a "Dovetail" obsessed group. :)
regards John

Until I get that dog gone Leigh D1600 in my tool collection, no dovetails for me.
I like the plugged screw reinforced rabbett though.

Good job and I also enjoyed the rest of your website. Charlie

Thank you Charlie!
stoutman (in 3NrKf.38500$% snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com) said:
| Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this | month). Most people would have probably made a crib, but this is | what SHE wanted. It is of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy). | It is made of maple and has cherry drawer pulls that I made using | two different bits on the router. | | I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable | list of the things I did wrong, but... | | Let me know what you think.
I think you did a nice job. SHE was right to have confidence that you'd do a great job.

Thank you!

stoutman wrote:

Very nice.
I hope all goes well with the final "customer" delivery. <G>
Barry