Cleaning of antique dresser

My current project is the repair of a small, child's dresser that has spent the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement. Most of the glued j oints are coming apart and the entire dresser is covered with ground in dus t and dirt. I gave it a light brushing and blew it off with compressed air but it needs much more. Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply to enhance what remains of the original finish? I do not want t o completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look. Thanks!
Tom

If most of the original finish is there and it's just dirty and beat up, there's a product called "Howard's Restor-A-Finish". Get the color that is closest to what's there now.
https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/
Read the instructions carefully.

For my ancient roll-top desk - I gave it a rub with 0000 steel wool. Then a wipe-down and wipe-off with some < ~ Danish ? > oil and clean soft cloth. The grubby blackened look turned into a nice natural dark oak. I also wanted to avoid the re-finished look. John T.
On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 6:33:44 PM UTC-5, Tom Crist wrote:

nt the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement. Most of the glued joints are coming apart and the entire dresser is covered with ground in d ust and dirt. I gave it a light brushing and blew it off with compressed ai r but it needs much more. Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply to enhance what remains of the original finish? I do not want to completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look.

The Restore-A-Finish sounds like it is a solvent and stain that dissolves t he finish, colors it, and smooths it out. I think I have to give the dresse r a good cleaning first so the dirt doesn't become part of the finish. Mayb e I'll try cleaning with soap & water then apply Danish oil and see how it looks. I can always move on to the more aggressive Restore-A-Finish if need be. Thank you everyone!
Tom

Murpys Oil Soap works well, that and a bit of elbow grease. Which my elbows seems to running dry of lately.

Murphy's oil soap and a good hog-bristle brush for starters
On 11/17/2019 1:21 PM, Tom Crist wrote:

Murphy's Oil Soap as a first step towards cleaning it up.