Cleaning of antique dresser

My current project is the repair of a small, child's dresser that has spent the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement. Most of the glued j oints are coming apart and the entire dresser is covered with ground in dus t and dirt. I gave it a light brushing and blew it off with compressed air but it needs much more. Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply to enhance what remains of the original finish? I do not want t o completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look. Thanks!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Crist

If most of the original finish is there and it's just dirty and beat up, there's a product called "Howard's Restor-A-Finish". Get the color that is closest to what's there now.

Read the instructions carefully.

Reply to
J. Clarke

For my ancient roll-top desk - I gave it a rub with 0000 steel wool. Then a wipe-down and wipe-off with some < ~ Danish ? > oil and clean soft cloth. The grubby blackened look turned into a nice natural dark oak. I also wanted to avoid the re-finished look. John T.

Reply to
hubops

nt the last 60 - 70 years stored in an attic or basement. Most of the glued joints are coming apart and the entire dresser is covered with ground in d ust and dirt. I gave it a light brushing and blew it off with compressed ai r but it needs much more. Any suggestions on how best to clean it and what I could apply to enhance what remains of the original finish? I do not want to completely refinish this dresser, rather keep the old look.

The Restore-A-Finish sounds like it is a solvent and stain that dissolves t he finish, colors it, and smooths it out. I think I have to give the dresse r a good cleaning first so the dirt doesn't become part of the finish. Mayb e I'll try cleaning with soap & water then apply Danish oil and see how it looks. I can always move on to the more aggressive Restore-A-Finish if need be. Thank you everyone!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Crist

Murpys Oil Soap works well, that and a bit of elbow grease. Which my elbows seems to running dry of lately.

Reply to
Markem

Murphy's oil soap and a good hog-bristle brush for starters

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Murphy's Oil Soap as a first step towards cleaning it up.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused