Gun Rack/Cabinet Plan .... Just the rack part...

Howdy All....

I'm planning on making a minor modification to a cedar closet in my house. It's a deep (two rod) closet in the master bed room. I want to add a gun rack to the back at floor level. I keep my guns in this closet anyway, but instead of leaning them in the corners I thought...Why not put them into a rack across the back. The butt plate on the floor and a barrel rack at the appropriate height, a locking bar and it's done.... Easy as pie........ ;-) hahahahahaha. Yeah right.

What I'm looking for is if someone has a pattern for the barrel rest. The butt rest is basically an angled oval, I'm planning on making a jig out of ply for that part to router it out.

Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks.

Reply to
bremen68

How about boring holes a diameter slightly larger than the barrels, then cutting the board through the diameter, leaving a series of "notches" for the barrels. Do the butt end with a router and a template of some sort.

Reply to
professorpaul

Actually, that's what I did, using a spade bit and a saber (sabre?) saw. A wood rasp & some sandpaper finished the job. I'd probably have spent a little more time of the surface prep had it been out where I could see it every day, but in the back of the closet...it's just fine. By the way, Angling the slots isn't necessary unless you have a front-to-back (depth) constraint...

BruceT

Reply to
Bruce T

Thanks for the ideas. The spade bit/jig saw worked great. After I had the slots drilled and cut I ran a 1/4" roundover bit along the leading edge of the rack.

The rack is in and the guns are on it. I decided to angle them to make a little tighter profile. In a space of 44" I can put 10 guns, shotguns or rifles with or without scopes, in withouth any problem. I also decided to make one slot big enough for a double barrel as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
bremen68