Drawing the Line...

Page 4 of 7
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

No contest. Buttons are about 10,000% faster. :)
My great aunt had touchtone, but my parents were too poor/cheap to pay the difference. We had pulse dialing well after the breakup, and well after we bought a bunch of pushbutton phones.
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep... clickclickclickclickclick clickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick
Redialing BBSes used to suck.

I was in that line! I was a smartass kid at the time and I *knew* I could dial a rotary phone fast as lightning. Then I easily beat my time on the touchtone phone, even having to look at the numbers. It was a very effective demonstration.
Now if I could just get that damn Disney "It's a Small World" song out of my head . . .
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why did you say that? WHY?
It's a small world after allllll.....
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:38:29 -0400, Silvan

But, when they first came out, all you had to dial was 4 numbers!!
And, before that, you didn't even hafta DIAL! All you had to do was turn the crank...until the operator answered.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Charlie Self wrote:

Me... :)
It's funny, actually. I used to be a digital person, and I wore a Casio Databank for years. After I grew up, I became an analog person. I've killed four different cheap Timex Expeditions. I get'em with a date wheel, but that's as complicated as I want to see in a watch.
We have an analog clock in every room in the house too.
One of these days I want to build a grandfather clock, and build a mechanical movement. Grandfather clocks with electronic movements make me want to hork.
We'll all revert to analog when the necessity of bifocals makes a digital undecipherable to the naked eye.

George wrote:

I'm not there yet. Getting there. Maybe I'll enjoy a few years of perfect vision when nearsighted meets farsighted. :)
I _am_ already having to adjust the length of my arm to get stuff into focus. :(
After being nearsighted for over thirty years, I just got bifocals last week. That in between good vision doesn't happen.

CW wrote:

Just gets worse in both directions, huh? :)
Silvan responds:

Ayup. Then you get cataract surgery and it improves a little, but you still need to carry a pair of reading glasses.
Charlie Self
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
Charlie Self wrote:

Or maybe not. My grandmother is... 82? She's beginning to get old anyway. She had cataract surgery and came out of it with 20/15 vision. No reading glasses or nothin'.
I don't understand it either, but I was raised better than to argue with my grandmother. ;)
Silvan writes:

Yeah, I know about arguing with grandmothers. But I was 64 when I had my cataract surgery and came out of it with pretty near normal vision, though I need +1 cheaters to read and work on the computer. Oddly enough, most of my life was in the other direction, with decent very close vision, poor distance. I was told it was because the eyeball loses its flexibility as you get older.
Charlie Self
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
No, the nearsightedness just gets to the point that if the glasses are strong enough to correct the close in vision, they mess up the far vision. Hence, the bifocal.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 03:10:45 -0400, Silvan

Actually, your nearsightedness should start to get a little better.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

It doesn't work that way, unfortunately, no matter how much I might wish it did. When a nearsighted person gets older, he loses some of his ability to focus up close, too. The change in vision that occurs due to aging (presbyopia) is distinctly different from farsightedness (hyperopia). Hyperopia is the ability to focus at a greater than normal distance; presbyopia is characterized by the INability to focus up close. Myopia (nearsightedness) is the inability to focus at a distance. A nearsighted old fart (such as myself), having both myopia and presbyopia, can't focus far away *or* up close.
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:11:58 GMT, spam snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

My nearsightedness has gotten better...and I was told by my ophthalmologist that this should be expected. The change in shape that causes the need for reading glasses is the same change in shape that makes your far vision better.
I'm not a doctor...but that's what I was told by a doctor.
YMMV
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

If that's what your doctor told you, you should find a better doctor. The need for reading glasses is caused by a loss of elasticity in the lens, not by a change in the shape of anything.

need
Are you sure? I was told that if I yanked on this thing that changed shape, I'd go blind. I stopped at strong glasses. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That's balderdash. I've had the same prescription since my junior year of high school, and I was... Well, hell, let's not go there.

Then why would elasticity be important?...if nothing needs to change shape.