drawing tip needed?

I need to cut a 1m curved section from an MDF sheet, has anybody any tips on how to draw an accurate curve, other than a peice of string and a pencil, I'm not too good at freehand either.

Reply to
Craig

Bend something flexible and trace round it?

Reply to
AlexW

A big compass?!

Or get a piece of hardboard thin enough to bend and not break!

Place a nail at the top of the curve, and one either end about 25mm in from the edge, bend the board placing over the centre nail and under the 2 end nails

Take a pencil and draw curve!

Reply to
Dave Jones

Do you mean a half circle? Or just a curve, if so, what kinda curve?

Dave

Reply to
Magician

"Craig" wrote in news:ta2Zd.55259$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

You can get an elliptical curve with 2 pins, and a loop of string round them with a bit of slack in it.

Put your pencil in the string loop and pull to make a triangle, and move pencil, keeping the string taut.

Try it and you'll see what I mean (I hope)

Get the nails the right distance apart (from the edges?) the string the right length and you can get a smooth curve from one edge to the other, if that's what you want, and as deep as you want.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Accurate to what? Curvature of te earth? parabiloic section? Ellipse? your wifes naked torso? Pre-existent wall?

There are a million ways to do this, but unless you say what you mean, its impossible to recommend one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What sort of curve? If it's a simple arc I'd use a router attached to a strip of thin ply or similar secured with a screw at the other end.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I bit of plastic bent round nails ......

You have to mess a bit to get the right curve, like them bendy rulers we had in "Technical Drawing" at school

Reply to
Rick

thanks guys, some good tips.

Reply to