wood trim nailed into hardiplank

If I want to replace some rotted wood trim that was nailed into hardiplank, when I go to nail the new trim back in place, do I need to predrill the holes into the hardiplank assuming I don't renail the new trim in the same nail holes as the old trim? If it matters, the trim is I think common pine 1x4 . Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

Couldn't hurt to pre drill considering that the hardiplank is old and my be getting brittle. Better safe than sorry. you will never hit the old holes, I would not even try, caulk them up and start anew.

Roanin

Entire exterior of our house is 4' X 10' Hardie panels with 1" X 2" pine trim for a board and batten appearance. Also used Hardie 1" X 4" for trim around doors, windows, etc. All was done with pneumatic nail guns with no pre-drilling. However, if I was driving a #8 or #6 finish nail into Hardie material I would drill first.

Reply to
Dick Keats