Drawing the Line...

Just gets worse in both directions, huh? :)

Reply to
Silvan

Movements are expen$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ive, and it looks like a cool project for some day, when I have the skills.

I have an extremely detailed set of articles which explain it all, and I definitely have the necessary information. It's just a question of acquiring the skills.

Reply to
Silvan
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

I was watching a commercial yesterday...and then I remembered...

The old phones used to have BELLS...instead of those fake electronic rings we get now.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©

Silvan responds:

Ayup. Then you get cataract surgery and it improves a little, but you still need to carry a pair of reading glasses.

Charlie Self

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

No, the nearsightedness just gets to the point that if the glasses are strong enough to correct the close in vision, they mess up the far vision. Hence, the bifocal.

Reply to
CW

Actually, your nearsightedness should start to get a little better.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©

Or maybe not. My grandmother is... 82? She's beginning to get old anyway. She had cataract surgery and came out of it with 20/15 vision. No reading glasses or nothin'.

I don't understand it either, but I was raised better than to argue with my grandmother. ;)

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, I know about arguing with grandmothers. But I was 64 when I had my cataract surgery and came out of it with pretty near normal vision, though I need +1 cheaters to read and work on the computer. Oddly enough, most of my life was in the other direction, with decent very close vision, poor distance. I was told it was because the eyeball loses its flexibility as you get older.

Charlie Self

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Maybe you ought to tell that to all of those who believe that cell phones can start fires at gas stations when they ring. (Hint: they don't ring, it's just a noise through a speaker, and speakers don't spark in normal operation).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

It doesn't work that way, unfortunately, no matter how much I might wish it did. When a nearsighted person gets older, he loses some of his ability to focus up close, too. The change in vision that occurs due to aging (presbyopia) is distinctly different from farsightedness (hyperopia). Hyperopia is the ability to focus at a greater than normal distance; presbyopia is characterized by the INability to focus up close. Myopia (nearsightedness) is the inability to focus at a distance. A nearsighted old fart (such as myself), having both myopia and presbyopia, can't focus far away

*or* up close.

Doug Miller

I think it has to do with possible arcing in the battery or other components while transmitting. (Hint: there's usually a reason)

Reply to
George

Non of the components in a cell phone arc.

Reply to
CW
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

My nearsightedness has gotten better...and I was told by my ophthalmologist that this should be expected. The change in shape that causes the need for reading glasses is the same change in shape that makes your far vision better.

I'm not a doctor...but that's what I was told by a doctor.

YMMV

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©

Not even if there's a gap? Then there's induction....

Reply to
George

I was in that line! I was a smartass kid at the time and I *knew* I could dial a rotary phone fast as lightning. Then I easily beat my time on the touchtone phone, even having to look at the numbers. It was a very effective demonstration.

Now if I could just get that damn Disney "It's a Small World" song out of my head . . .

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

The current issue of Fine Woodworking has a half page promo for a clock bulding seminar in Colonial Williamsburg in January. There is supposed to be an expert on the movements talking about them, though I don't know how deeply he will be delving into that subject. It is a woodworking seminar, really.

Just got my copy of FWW on Saturday, and wasted a lot of time reading it Sunday. ;-)

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

If that's what your doctor told you, you should find a better doctor. The need for reading glasses is caused by a loss of elasticity in the lens, not by a change in the shape of anything.

Doug Miller

Are you sure? I was told that if I yanked on this thing that changed shape, I'd go blind. I stopped at strong glasses. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
JackD

Well, you know how that goes. Thirty years of being fooled by the "intrinsically safe" standard.

Reply to
George