Drawing the Line...

I was there for the transition. I took "typing," on an ancient, battered Royal with no 1. Then a few years later I took "keyboarding" on one of those then-new fancy electronic flummies with the erase key.

I suppose these days no typewriters are involved at all.

Reply to
Silvan

This is intersting... I see your reply, but I can't see the reply you replied to, nor my original message, or any messages in between... Is it just my new server, or have some messages gone missing????

John

Reply to
John Smith

I'm too lazy to investigate, but chances are it's your news server. Things get lost from time to time. Having more than one server is the best insurance against that, but that's only convenient if you're running your own local news spool to pull from different sources and put things together. (leafnode on Linux or Hamster on Windows...)

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
kenR

Ok, I got it fixed. Glad I did too. Lots of cool responses.

John

Reply to
John Smith

I was wondering if anyone would distinguish an oval from an ellipse :-). I'm a math geek, but I didn't want to give it away on my original post by using words like ellipse...

Yes, it was for a table top for my living room. I got a new oscollating sander and I wanted to play with it a bit. The trick was that there was a glass inlay which meant there were two concentric elipses. And because the center ellipse had to be exactly a quarter inch smaller than the glass, it had to be extremely accurate. (I cut the inside oval before I got the glass, which ended up being a mistake because the glass was a touch smaller than I expected, and therefore instead of a simple cut with a 1/4" rabbit bit, I had to build a special guide jig for my router table).

I thought of the string method, but the most inelestic string seemed to have about a eighth of an inch give on it for the size -- of course that could do with the string slipping on the pencil a bit as well.

I really like the laser printer with iron suggestion! I imagine the local kinkos has a laser printer that can print on large enough paper (I find using multiple pieces of paper adds a degree of inacaruacy).

Gluing the paper on is also neat, but then how do you remove the glue and paper from the wood (without effecting the stain)? If there's a special type of glue for that, that would definately rank up there with the laser printer method.

Thanks for all the responses

John

Reply to
John Smith

Use wire. It will stretch less.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I've heard the term "new math" for years and could never figure out what people were talking about. It's the same now as it has always been. It finally acured to me what it meant. It is an excuse people use to justify their inability to manipulate numbers.

Reply to
CW

Kevlar string. Stretches about as much as wire and easier to handle.

Reply to
CW

Well, it's the same for me because I started school in the 1960's. ;-) For those who went in the 50's and before the methods changed. Here are the lyrics from a Tom Lehrer song:

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

And widely available too. Simply unravel your bulletproof vest. :-)

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I also use a computer to draw shapes. If I need to make a large template, whether it's an oval, or a completely free form design, I scale it at 1:4 on the computer, then take it to Kinko's who can enlarge it 4:1 . . . i.e. . . to accurate full scale. This assumes of course that your design can fit on a single page at 1:4. I then use 3m adhesive or clear schotch tape to apply it to the wood substrate and cut away . . .If your shape doesn't fit on a single page at 1:4, then you have to tile multiple pages together.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Stein

Or print it on a large format printer, also at some Kinko's. One Kinko's in this area has a 48" wide printer. I think you can do it from home and have the FedEx guy deliver the output.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Rick, note that not all enlargements are accurate. Frequently things are enlarged in one direction more than in the other. There are other optical distortions which can occur as well. For a table top it might not matter, but always check your final drawing to see that it is correct before cutting it out.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Swingman

No, it really isn't. You still get to the same place, but the route has changed. They do subtraction from right to left, without carrying anything, somehow or other.

They're also teaching things at different times. Introducing third graders to statistics, for example. Stuff I've never even heard of before. Modes and means and WTFs.

I'm glad my son's math scores are in the 98th percentile, because I'm too stupid to figure out his homework.

Reply to
Silvan

I'm with you on this.

1+1 still = 2

Political correctness never had anything to do with it.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Wel, it occurs to me that I recall set theory being called "new math" and I also recall it being rather poorly taught. Fortunately, it didn't come along until I was in college, so it didn't destroy what little math ability I have.

Charlie Self

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self