Drawing the Line...

Page 1 of 7
The other day I needed to cut a piece of wood into a specific shape (which happened to be a large oval). I didn't have anything that was the exact shape I could trace on the wood. I had drawn the shape to scale on my computer, but how to transfer that image onto the wood? In the end I painstkingly drew a grid, and copied the pattern on that way. The result wasn't as accurate as I would have liked, but with a bit of patience and a lot of sanding I got something that looked pretty good.
In any case, I'm thinking that there has to be a better way. Any ideas?
John

result
Print it out (use multiple sheets if necessary) lay it on top of your wood and use a knife or a pattern makers wheel (I forgot what the technical name is for this, but it is a handle with a little wheel with sharp points that you simply roll along the line and it pokes through the paper and leaves a trail of prick marks) to transfer the pattern.
The alternative is to use traditional geometric methods to lay it out. For a true oval, two centers and a piece of in-elastic string will allow you to draw this quite quickly.
-Jack
Pounce wheel. Sewing supplies places.
I just adhere the pattern with spray adhesive and cut.

name
Mine is made by PRYM and is called a "Tracing Wheel". Got it at Wal-Mart in the sewing section.
--
SwampBug
---------------------

leaves
Brought to you by the inventors of "the new math", political correctness and such. <s>
--
SwampBug
---------------------

some things just get lost in the translation then confused in the explanation. . .forget it.
--
SwampBug
---------------------

George wrote:

I was there for the transition. I took "typing," on an ancient, battered Royal with no 1. Then a few years later I took "keyboarding" on one of those then-new fancy electronic flummies with the erase key.
I suppose these days no typewriters are involved at all.
SwampBug wrote:

That new math is *nuts*.
I've never been that much of a math whiz to start with (more like a total moron) but I can't help my kid with his homework because I have no flippin' idea how to do that crazy nonsense they're teaching these days.
For those of us old enough to recall, "new math" will always be the jump into hex and octal in the sixties, when everyone figured we'd be talking to computers in their language. Political correctness never became a buzz-term until the minority began to lecture the majority. Destruction of consensus is one thing, but you should have some rational basis for it.
What is it Tom Lehrer said - "base eight is just like base ten - if you're missing two fingers."

basis for it.<<
Well, i certainly agree, now if only JackD would take note. . .
--
SwampBug
---------------------

CW wrote:

Well, it's the same for me because I started school in the 1960's. ;-) For those who went in the 50's and before the methods changed. Here are the lyrics from a Tom Lehrer song:
http://wiw.org/~drz/tom.lehrer/the_year.html#math
-- Mark
If your time frame is correct, no one under the age of 70 should have any problem. Then again, even if they were past that age, if they had any kind of brain, they wouldn't have any problem either. Numbers are numbers.

For
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group:rec.woodworking+insubject:math&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm 981012095049.21388.00000022%40ng126.aol.com&rnum=1
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
CW writes:

Wel, it occurs to me that I recall set theory being called "new math" and I also recall it being rather poorly taught. Fortunately, it didn't come along until I was in college, so it didn't destroy what little math ability I have.
Charlie Self
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain

along
have.
Seems to me, I learned about sets and subsets about three years in a row in early grade school, when I should have been learning arithmetic. Others say what they want, I think it did hurt my math abilities. How could it not?
--
Jim in NC

Morgans wrote:

(SWMBO is a teacher & I pick these fights from time to time. <g>)
Arithmetic & math are not the same thing. Arithmetic is the grinding of numbers, in this day and age most properly done with a calculator or computer. Math is applying principles towards the correct solution of a problem. The most brilliant person I ever met was a Ph.D. who was fantastic at math but LOUSY at arithmetic. In the "real world" that's not a handicap because computers do all the boring arithmetic anyway.
<picking a fight> Your learning set theory in grade school detracted from your arithmetic skills learning in the same way that an extra period of French, Social Studies, or even Recess would have. It was simply time devoted to a completely different subject. IMO it's more important to learn how to think than to attempt to learn to beat a $5 calculator. </picking a fight>
<g>
-- Mark