Delta sharpening center

Has anybody else bought this thing? I just bought it yesterday and spent the evening working on chisels I find the sharpening centre to be an extremely poor design. Getting a consistent angle on the chisels is almost impossible with the way the tool rest adjusts and unless I am extremely careful setting up each steel or chisel the flat stone is not going to end up with ridges that will be hard to flatten out.
At this point I would advise against spending the money on this but I am going to try to get the Delta rep to demonstrate how to use it effectively. My initial evaluation suggests it needs a sturdier tool rest with a firm vertical guide so that you could use a micro adjustment to set your height and a mounting jig so that steels or chisels could get fastened into the traveller consistently. This would allow you to obtain a consistent angle and always use the entire stone so that it wears evenly. The guide that comes on the traveller is only good for steels so chisels have to be set using a machinist square in an awkward position. If you don't do this you'll get your chisels out of square real fast. All they had to do was mount the guide on the other surface to fix this.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a woodworker who designed this thing. I spent $275 (CDN) and now my chisel angle range between 23 and 32 degrees and I have to put my secondary bevels on using scary sharp. Is that money well spent?
Let me know if you've used this thing and how it went.
Norm nedelmann atshawdot ca
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tried it, dumped it .... before I found the usefulness of dejavuing (google now) the wrec archives a few years back. Its gotten very few positive reviews, and many that consider it a POS.
Preponderance of the opinion appears to be of the latter ilk, and I agree.
Try it yourself:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq ήlta%20sharpening%20center&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&lr=lang_en&num0&hl=en
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/28/03
Norm Edelmann wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
if you checked the archives you would have seen plenty of bad press about it long ago. Nothing new here.
dave
Norm Edelmann wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

totally worthless machine. if you can learn to free hand sharpen and buy a makita stone for it is usable but not worth it really.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
βœ–

Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow. I stand corrected. Most of the articles I was reading said the Makita was a lot better than the Delta, but I guess it's all relative.
Sorry for the misinformation.
-BAT
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's no question about it, Makita is far superior to the Delta. I just love my Tormek and I have both.
Add pictures here
βœ–

the makita is a good tool. Plus You can set it up to use the tormek jigs. plus you can make and buy platters so you can change grits fast. I have one platter with 80 grit zircona discs on it for grinding one with a diamond lap to flatten the regular wheel. check this out http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/newshop11.jpg
I use the hell out of them thousands of plane blades and tools later.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
βœ–
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:32:09 -0500, Lawrence A. Ramsey

blades and such free hand. I have never used the planer jig but have heard it works fine. don't know why it would not work fine it is a solid piece of machinery.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
βœ–

Well, I'm glad we were all able to come to a consensus on whether or not one should purchase a Makita sharpener ;).
I guess I'll stick with my original plan, then. The Makita is so much less expensive than the Tormek it's probably worth the gamble to see if I can make it work.
-BAT
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you learn to sue it free hand you can do so much on it. I can take one of my new irons that has a rough grind and flatten the back and flatten the bevel in less then two minutes. then finish sharpening it in another 2 minutes. but the makita and the tormek really will not fully sharpen a tool. I use a lap to flatten the makita http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item !86772061&categoryH43 but you need a backer as it is too thin. You can buy lap plates and put psa paper on the for grinding.