Deals at woodworking shows

Page 1 of 2
All,
Just wondering if, in your experience, there are good discounts available at The Woodwroking Shows. I'm planning to get a Mini Max bandsaw but there will be a show in my area in a few months. Mini Max is an exhibitor at the show so, much as I hate to wait, I might put it off if I can save a few hundred bucks.
Thanks!
There is usually some type of deal with local distributors to offer "show specials", which may include some equipment combinations that are attractive, but for single items, the prices are not all that great of a savings, IME.
AAMOF, at the Houston show, most of the power tool prices are pretty much what you will find on the Internet, plus you have to pay 8 1/4% tax plus the cost of parking and admission.
There can, however, be savings on items like bits and blades, sand paper, other expendables and, of course, those countless little items that make a woodworker's life more pleasant and Lee Valley rich with my money.
The advantage of the shows are that everything is one location, and you get to practice self restraint by resisting the temptation to buy all the neat things you've heard about, and some you never dreamed of.
Also, there may be more than one organization putting these things on, so YMMV from one to the other.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
RRhodes wrote:

Our local dealer (BARBO) does a 10% discount on major items at the show so I save my big purchases for then. No tax and free shipping (ie they fork lift it into the back of my pickup). I got a 54 jointer, the better jet 14" bandsaw, and the powermatic mobile base for the jointer for $1160 after show and jet promo discounts. I just realized it has been a month and the top half of my 54A is still in the box on a moving dolly. I hoistedt the upper piece of the bandsaw by myself, but the jointer will require another person for sure.
I was not impressed with the prices at Peachtree. I do get books at TWC since they are usually 20-25% off an already discounted price.
I got a bosch jigsaw for $124, a bunch of bessy tradesman clamps, and all those little misc widgits that the local shops charge an arm and a leg for..
It is best to research what you want and take a cribsheet with you for reference.
Your minimax discount may require the participation of a local dealer.

geez, I forgot the biggest expenditure at the shows: the Woodpeckers table/PRL/Incra Twin Linear. Blame SWMBO for that one. I was gonna pass, but she wanted me to get it, so what can I say??
dave
RRhodes wrote:

Isn't that grounds for divorce Dave. Making a woodworker buy a nifty thing like that when you protested so strongly <G>

available at

will
show
hundred
she darned near broke my arm! :)
NOT!!!
dave
George M. Kazaka wrote:

You do know that sooner or later you will have to pay her back and with interest

yeah. the deal is a new kitchen!
dave
George M. Kazaka wrote:

Ahhhh Women where would we be without them, Let her know I'm glad she didn't let me down.
You will probably get yours done before I get mine done and I'm a pro with a full shop. Will show before and after pics when done

there
I won't place any bets on that, George. I'm pretty slow, and we are still in the thinking stages about layout. I'm hopeful that we can incorporate the dining area into the kitchen so as to install a lot more cabinets and have a lot more counter space. My neighbor just had her kitchen done in a larger layout, but her floor plan is just a tad different than ours, so I can't match hers exactly, but I'd sure like to come close to it.
dave
George M. Kazaka wrote: snip

In October I picked up a LE Unisaw at a show that Amazon was selling for 1599. My 'show special' price was 1449 + tax. Free delivery, free compressor, and a few other freebies. I'm glad I waited. But you should know all the other prices before you go to the WW show. Mark
RRhodes wrote:

I went to the Woodworks show in Ft. Washington PA last month, after planning for some time to buy a new jointer and planer, and got the Delta 15" stationery planer and DJ-20 jointer for amazon.com pricing, and they threw in mobile bases for both (@$80+/- or so each), a dust hood for the planer, and since the planer was one of them "X" versions, I got a coupon for a free PC 690 router to boot. With the freebies I did slightly better than internet pricing considering sales tax, and had the toys in 4 days. The local dealers sometimes get incentives to match or beat internet pricing from the manufacturers, according to the sales guy I bought from. As they say, your mileage may vary, but do your homework on pricing, and you might find a good deal - if your goal is to save $200 off of internet pricing, I'd forget it, but $200 of normal retail, yes, that's doable depending on what "retail" is. In my case it was worth holding out for the show. Some say wait until the last day of the show, when deals are presumably better, but in my case given what I was buying I didn't think that would matter all that much. good luck

My experience with shows (and I've been to about 6-7 of them in two parts of the country) is that most of the deals tend to be on small accessory items. I've gone to all shows in the market for floor-standing cast iron and have left with tool lamps, circular saw blades, and router bits.

at
will

Anyone have info on where upcoming ww'ing shows might be and when? Is there a website that would have this info? I did a quick google but didn't find much in my neck of the woods (Upstate NY)
go to this site: www.thewoodworkingshows.com/ dave
Jay Pique wrote:

Where are you in upstate NY? If you are near Saratoga Springs, there is an annual woodworking show in March at the City Center.
Bill

of
items.
have

I don't know whether all woodworking shows are alike (I suppose not) but around here the local ww'ing club stages a show each year and I've gotten some pretty good deals at them. Last year I bought a Delta BS for (IIRC) about $150 off the normal street price, + $50 rebate + free delivery.
My advice is to be patient. It may drive you nuts, but it could pay off big time. -- jc Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection. If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
I got $200 off retail selling price (not suggested but actual selling price) of my LE Delta Unisaw a year and half ago.
I got no discount on my Precision Router Lift bought at a show.
I think it just depends. I would ask the local distributor if he expects a discount.
Good luck!
Rob

at
will

I got a really good deal on my Jet contractor's saw a couple of years ago. At the time Amazon was selling it for $549 after the rebate. I got it at the show for about $479.
Dick Durbin