Good Woodworking Shows?

I suddenly find myself in the market for a combination machine, but I have never seen one and the distrubutors don't even have any sold near me.

Maybe a Woodworking Show. There is one next week nearby, but no combination machines there (in fact, not much of anything else either...).

Are there any shows that everyone goes to? Even if I had to travel some, it would probably be worthwhile.

Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

You just missed the biggest in the U.S.A., IWF in Atlanta. It was last month. However, if you have enough travel budget, Cologne, Germany is next month :~)

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I have seen them at the common ww shows but never being demonstrated. You can however send for a DVD from Laguna and also MiniMax IIRC. The Laguna DVD is quit thorough and impressive. You might want to watch it over and over.

Reply to
Leon

Have you asked the manufactures where to see there product. Only a mind reader would know what in your area means.

Reply to
henry

I asked about good shows, not shows in my area. You don't have to be a mindreader, just a reader.

Reply to
Toller

Cologne doesn't seem likely, but maybe the IWF next year. Is it always in Atlanta?

Reply to
Toller

I.W.F. only happens every other year, and yes, it is always in Atlanta.

Reply to
Anonymous

If you're talking about the show at the Hamburg, NY fairgrounds I'll be there Saturday. Hopefully the vendors will show up this time.

Reply to
Nova

Yes, I was. It wasn't too good last year?

Reply to
Toller

Not that it's any of my business, but I'm curious as to why one would find such a sudden need for what are, particularly unless talking of the _quite_ expensive versions, inevitably compromise machines.

Reply to
dpb

They didn't have one in Buffalo last year. The year before that the major tool vendors protested that the show wasn't advertised properly and refused to attend. The tool vendors held their own show the same days as "The Woodworking Show" at one of the local retailer's store.

Reply to
Nova

Rojek says the nearest owner is 400 miles away (from Rochester NY) I haven't gotten that far with the other vendors.

Reply to
Toller

Where are you located?

There are Yahoo Groups for Robland, MiniMax and Felder. Might find someone in each group who lives in your area. Owners are often quite willing to play show and tell with anyone interested in a combi. You'll need to join the groups to post but it's pretty loose as to the info required.

charlie b

I'm betting that just about every stationary tool, be it a combi or stand alone/dedicated machine, is a compromise in order to have multi-functions. A drill press with a fence and stops is not going to do as good a job as quickly as a single purpose dedicated to one thing line boring machine. A cabinet saw is great for ripping but less than perfect for cross cutting. Add a sliding table and it makes working with sheet goods easier, but not as good as a good panels saw. A bench top planer, even the Dewalt 735(?) isn't going to be able to thickness things\ as quickly and efficiently as a big 20" beefy dedicated industrial strength unit that can take off 1/4" in a pass.

Perhaps your thinking of a ShopSmith type combi - one motor and lots of attachments/configurations. The combis today are different 1000 to 1300 pound multiple 3, 4 and 5 hp TEFC motored wood eaters that go for mid 6K to 20K. But when you consider that you're buying 5 functions - table saw, shaper, 12" joiner, 12" planer and horizontal boring/slot mortiser with XYZ table it comes to about $1300 per function for the mid $6K units.

And, with a mobility kit so you can turn it or move it, along\ with a relatively small footprint, these things are nice for folks with limited shop space - which is why they come from europe.

Here's the start of a multi-page process for building a four panel door on a Robland X31. Click "continue" at the bottom of each page to get to the next page.

When you're done let us know where the compromises are.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

You just made the point I asked about---altho from what I had seen I hadn't observed much near the lower end of that range.

Reply to
dpb

It is held every other year. The off year show is an AWFS sponsored show that is currently held in Las Vegas after many years in Anaheim, CA

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Is it likely that everyone interesting will be there? It is only 9 months away and my climbing partner wants to try out Red Rocks which is right there. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Most likely. It will be the largest and most comprehensive show of the year. Most who exhibit in Atlanta will also go to Las Vegas in the alternating year. If you have a particular group of machine manufacturers you want to review, they will probably let you know if they plan to exhibit. And the show will have an exhibitors list months before the show. Often, if you plan to buy, the show prices will be the lowest you will see for the year.

I plan to go next year. I made the last Anaheim show but missed the Las Vegas show last time. I made Atlanta a month ago, but only had one day and that is marginal to see the Atlanta show. When I was working, I went as an exhibitor, but now just go because of my personal woodworking interest and to see old friends.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

dpb wrote:

Could you clarify how I made your point that combis are "enevitably compromise machines"?

The semi-fully loaded Felder, the top of the line in combis is in the $20K price range. MiniMax, Robland and Rojek combis, loaded are in the $6-$7K range. A 3 or 4 hp cabinet saw, without sliding table is in the $2K range, a 3 or4 hp 1 1/4" bore shaper is in the $1 - $1.5K range, a 3 or 4 hp 3 knife planer 12" planer will run you $1K or a bit more and a 3 or 4 hp joiner - there aren't any an amateur can find, let alone afford. A stationary horizontal boring/mortising machine with an XYZ table. Add up the price of equivalent stationary tools and the combis come in for a little less. But a combi requires only ONE 220V outlet and only ONE power cord to deal with.

So what compromises do you feel combis make relative to stand alone, separate equivalent machines?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b