Deals at woodworking shows

Overland Park Tools???????????

James... Shawnee

Reply to
J&KCopeland

At the Kansas City Woodworking Show (actually in nearby Overland Park, KS) customer reps from most major tool companies are on present at the vendors' tables and there are some excellent deals.

HOWEVER, the largest local tool sales company pulled out of the show last year due to costs involved AND the fact that the show is always so crowded that a visitor cannot even itch a spot that needs a good scratch;-)

The good news in this case is that the local vendor that pulled out put on their own show which was FREE, provided food and drinks, had dealer reps on hand for all major brands since they carried all major brands (none of the "it slices and dices" crap). Their prices were excellent -- easily matching the best on the Internet and in some cases, besting the best prices on the Internet. For example, among the toys that I picked up that I felt were bargains was a Delta 50-850 dust collector for $260.

I suspect that this scenario of a large local tool vendor bailing out of the traveling show and having their own that is as good or better than the traveling tool show is probably not unique to my region and if you check with the largest commercial tool vendors in your area if you are near a large city, that you might find them also having their own show which might save you money. You also might find that such large tool vendors may have a winter and a summer show as does my favorite tool vendor.

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael S.

James--affirmative (good people there and good support)

Reply to
Michael S.

Mini Max has the MM16 priced at 1795 right vs normal price of 1895. At the show near Chicago, IIRC the price was also 100 off the regular price. I seriously doubt you can get a new mm16 for less than that unless you buy a show model but those machines are spoken for in advance of the show. I just got mine I plan to get the thing all wired up and going for some test runs on saturday.

Leo

Reply to
LJancila

Our local dealer (BARBO) does a 10% discount on major items at the show so I save my big purchases for then. No tax and free shipping (ie they fork lift it into the back of my pickup). I got a 54 jointer, the better jet 14" bandsaw, and the powermatic mobile base for the jointer for $1160 after show and jet promo discounts. I just realized it has been a month and the top half of my 54A is still in the box on a moving dolly. I hoistedt the upper piece of the bandsaw by myself, but the jointer will require another person for sure.

I was not impressed with the prices at Peachtree. I do get books at TWC since they are usually 20-25% off an already discounted price.

I got a bosch jigsaw for $124, a bunch of bessy tradesman clamps, and all those little misc widgits that the local shops charge an arm and a leg for..

It is best to research what you want and take a cribsheet with you for reference.

Your minimax discount may require the participation of a local dealer.

Reply to
Mike Hunt