Should mortar turn brown in color after adding water?

Yesterday I mixed a bag of Quikrete mortar that had been laying around about five or more years. When mixed it was brown in color, not the usual grey. I used it anyway but I'm wondering if that was a bad decision. I can take my finger and rub material out of the joints, and it is very chalky.
Will it get better over time or.....?
I was laying the third and final layer to a cement block retaining wall that is nineteen blocks in length.
Thought I would save a few bucks and another trip to the store
Reply to
silenteagle

Site Timeline Threads

  • My house (mid terrace) is 2 1/2 year old, in the last few weeks I have noticed...
  • last updated in

    Brick

  • My house (mid terrace) is 2 1/2 year old, in the last few weeks I have noticed...
  • last posted in

    Brick