David Marks' "wood selection" episode

Page 1 of 2
I caught the episode on selecting and storing wood on Woodworks tonight. It was a great episode, as others here have already stated.
<http://www.diynet.com/DIY/episode/0,1007,WWK-407,FF.shtml
SWMBO definitely noticed the difference in David Marks' personality. She always loves his projects, but she has always thought he was stiff and awkward. She walked in while he was showing off his wood shed, and talking animatedly about some board. "My God, he's hot! errr... umm... Sorry, honey, but he's totally hot!"
So yeah, he livens up a bit when he's talking about wood. lol
Oh, and when he told the story of "The Tree" of quilted mahogany, SWMBO was amazed. She noted that it was a piece of wood that could actually bring tears to your eyes. I agree. Think I can get some at Home Depot?
Kevin

He has an unusual rhythm in the way he talks.
I think he's the William Shatner of woodworking.
When I first started watching David Marks, I noticed his style coupled with a grin that seemed to always be at the wrong time. I thought he was stoned.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:32:34 GMT, Leon wrote:

It's the grin that gets me too -- I'm convinced he has somebody behind the camera that is always giving the "smile for the cameras" signal, and he just gives his grin whenever he notices.
Don't get me wrong, I like the guy anyway.
david
--
So, we've got Uday and Qusay. Now, how about the Eapons-way of Ass-may
Estruction-day?

"buns"
bell.
Better not tell her about Warehouse Warriors then ("Buns" is also on that show). It's on about four times a day, and she will never get anything done. Or maybe you should tape it and start a private viewing in the befroom for her!!!
Digger
SWMBO is definitely using the word in a derogatory manner with regard to that "buns" ... but she thinks David Marks is right up there with me.
BTW, you don't have to tell anyone about Warehouse Warriors, chances are 50/50 it'll be on if you just punch the channel up ... got to be the most run program on cable.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/11/03

Maybe he is trying to teach you how to enjoy woodworking, pause for a second or two between operations and smile - it reminds you that woodworking is fun. Of course, if anyone walks into the room and sees you they will think you are insane.
joe

His speaking rhythm reminds me of my father, who had chronic emphysema. From my experience way back in broadcast journalism school, when I took lots of speech courses and worked in radio, I would guess that he simply hasn't had much speaking experience. He isn't drawing enough breath to finish his sentences, and so he speaks in choppy fragments.
(Or maybe he's COPD himself from years of breathing sawdust.)

Please. Shatner is fantastic when he's making fun of Shatner. When he's doing anything else, he's a buffoon.
Kevin

Maybe he's the Deforest Kelley of woodworking.
"I'm a woodworker, Jim ! Not a frigging television personality !"
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Kevin Crain responds:

But a rich buffoon.
Charlie Self
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
A while back several people on this website mentioned the benefits of a Replay TV DVR. I've since bought one. I record all of David's shows, as well as Norm's. Through my home network, I can access the Replay box and download the MPEG2 files to my computer. I burn about 10 shows onto a DVD, and keep them in my archive. I need to create an archive of what I already have stored as my collection it getting to be quite extensive. Since I have the box setup to record every show, I never miss one. Nice being able to watch the show on any computer and share with friends who are also interested in seeing a show I've talked about.
David is a bit strange, but a good teacher and excellent builder. He has tattoos on his arms, but usually wears a long sleeve blue shirt. My wife says he needs a haircut!
Like any of us would look, act, or talk better with a camera shoved in our face and the world watching us fumble around the workshop, expecting perfection!

What make and model of DVR and DVD burner?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/08/03

as
and
Thanks ... been thinking about doing the same and I like to go with equipment that someone has professed satisfaction with Much appreciate the reply back.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/08/03

the
info,
me
    Muchas Gracias! for the info. I have been thinking about getting one of these animals. Looks like the best features of the Replay brand recorders are about to get killed.     Better hurry if you want to share shows and skip commercials. Read this article from CNet. http://reviews.cnet.com/Home_video/4520-6463_7-5023850-1.html

I've been following the commerical advance lawsuit via the WWW. The "interesting" detail about this topic is now Time Warner (AOL) is now offering a cable box rental that has an integral DVR WITH commerical advance!!! In the long run, the American public will decide whether we should be forced to watch commercials, or if have the technology, simply skip them. If they outlaw this technology, someone will be making a fortune selling a box to do this on the web.
The Replay DVR also has a skip button that jumps 30 seconds (standard commercial length), just as my very old Emerson VCR does. Even if they are forced to drop the commercial advance, a few bumps of this button will quickly get back to the show. Never was real big into sharing programs. Nobody on the Replay forums are WWs, so nobody to share programs with.
The absolute BEST feature is being able to talk to the DVR with my computer and extract the files in a digital format. A 30 minute show recorded at in the standard quality is about 450 MB. This easily fits on a CD-R. I filled a Rubbermaid container before getting a DVD burner to put 10 or more shows on a single disk. They haven't threatend to remove the networking feature, so all is well.
Also, that would probably only affect future models of the DVRs, not the ones already sold. ;-)

    I was telling my wife about these things last night. I think we are about to bite, and go buy one. I found a Replay 5040 for $149.00 at that link that was posted earlier.     I would love to get David Mark's Shows on disk, because you can't buy 'em from DIY. I already downloaded all of the episode pages DIY has listed and found the cut lists on David's Website. I have them all sorted by Show Series, 100, 200, 300, etc. If I could get the programs I would be most pleased.     I have seen David's work in different magazines, etc for years and always fell in love with the pieces, but never new who was doing the work. On day I found David's gallery and was blown away when all those pieces I had been drooling over all that time were made by the same guy.     If ya'll want, I could zip 'em all up and post 'em to a binaries group.
Michael
Brett:
I found the same links myself. Forgot to do the Google People search. Thanks for the information. I saw the show last night and it sure looks like the mill is near my area. I have been to the other place - "Mount Storm" in Windsor and it's a great place to buy wood. In fact, the cabinet maker who is building our kitchen cabinets for our new home picked his cherry from their stacks. I got to help out and the wood is going to be great, we think.
It may be that Evan only offers his wood to "serious" woodworkers and you have to sort of seek him out through contacts. I'm going to send Marks an email and see if that develops into anything. Also I'll ask around. I'd love to get a Marin phonebook to see if I can spot it.
Well let me know, if anything pans out!
MJ Wallace