Philips DVDR725H, Favourite Show Selection automatically records every episode

I have just purchased the Philips DVDR725H and the web site of philips says it will do the following

Favourite Show Selection automatically records every episode

Has anyone found this feature and how do I activate it Thanking you in advance

Malcolm

Reply to
MST

Is this the one Makro have at £299 with the 80Gbyte hard disc ? Noticed it yesterday and was tempted.

Reply to
Mike

No, that's the DVDR520H. We got the 725H a couple of weeks before Christmas for £499 to replace a faulty VHS VCR downstairs and we were so impressed that when Makro came up with the offer on the 520H, we got one to replace the VCR upstairs.

The 725H has a 160Gb hard drive, GuidePlus (the 520H has VideoPlus), and various other things that accounts for it being £150 more, but both machines are excellent.

With respect to the OP's original question, I haven't needed to use that feature yet so I can't be sure but I would hazard a guess that it will be something to do with the GuidePlus system, so have a look in there. There's even a facility to run a demo of GuidePlus so maybe that will help.

Saragan.

Reply to
saragan

Inc or ex VAT?

The DVDR725H is supposed to have a 160Gbyte disc, the HDRW720/05 has an 80Gbyte disc both feature the Guide PLUS+ EPG downloaded from terrestial ITV1.

I like the idea of a DVD Recoder with HDD and the EPG makes spotting stuff in advance much easier. We don't take any newspapers or listings mags... Been digging about on the web to see what machines are about that fit that spec, only found the two Philips and one RCA (ie US only) models with Guide PLUS+. I remember lots of Philips ads on the TV a few months back which, considering how little TV I watch, means it must have been a hefty campagne.

Unless other makers have taken licenses *and* are making machines for the Guide PLUS+ system I can't see it getting much of a market and without a market likely to die. Is the machine in Makro a Guide PLUS+ machine, if so this appearance may mean the begining of the end for Guide PLUS+...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave, you must not be able to see my earlier reply to this thread, but £299 is exc vat.

DVDR725H does indeed have a 160Gb hard drive and GuidePlus+

No, the DVDR520H is only VideoPlus+ not GuidePlus+

The DVDR manufacturers incorporate GuidePlus+ technology under licence from Gemstar but the end user, ie, me and you, don't have to pay anything for using GuidePlus+ so maybe you're right and it will die out. I hope not 'cos it is quite good, although not as good as Gemstar would have you believe - and when there's a problem (such as only getting four days listings instead of the seven days it is supposed to provide), Philips refer you to Gemstar and Gemstar refer you to Philips :o)

But, we've had the DVDR725H (160Gb hdd) since about mid-December and the DVDR520H we got last week from Makro, and I can honestly say that both machines are excellent.

Saragan.

Reply to
saragan

Inc. They don't have the 725 yet so I may wait a while to see if they do. Or if somewhere else betters this price.

Reply to
Mike

Naw news is like that, ripples in a pond etc. Anyway I only collect news every hour and read it far less frequently...

=A3351.33 inc or about =A340 cheaper than the most of the online box shifters.

Who mentioned the 520? I was talking about the 720, which is a DVD recorder with 80G HDD and Guide Plus+.

Who has bought licences? Ah maybe it won't die...

Launched in the US in the mid 90's roll out in Europe looks to be fairly recent. Manufactures with licences include: JVC, Matsushita (Panasonic), Mitsubishi, Philips, Thomson, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and Pioneer."

maybe there are products in the pipe line or my googling to find 'em last week wasn't good enough.

Ah so the Makro machine is the 520... B-) Good price but the EPG is a big selling point to us (well me...) with just 4 terrestial channels.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Come on chaps make your minds up about the VAT. B-)

Let alone the confusion over model numbers. The 720 and 725 have GUIDE Plus+ (the EPG) and 80/160 Gig HDDs respectively. The 520, which is currently reported to be the one in Makro for "=A3299" has an 80 Gig disc but no the EPG.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I *KNOW* it's £299.99 *excluding* vat as I've just (well, on Wednesday 19th anyway) bought it from Makro myself.

It's the Philips DVDR520H, 80Gb hard drive, and with VideoPlus+ (which has been around for years and years), not GuidePlus+ (which is a relatively new thing).

Saragan

Reply to
Saragan

I *KNOW* it's £299.99 *excluding vat* as I've just (well, on Wednesday 19th anyway) bought it from Makro myself to replace the ageing vcr we have upstairs.

It's the Philips DVDR520H, 80Gb hard drive, and with VideoPlus+ (which has been around for years and years), not GuidePlus+ (which is a relatively new thing).

We got the 725H (which has the 160Gb hard drive and the GuidePlus+ EPG) just before Christmas for £499 (this time *incuding* vat) from

(who currently seem to be out of stock, but EmpireDirect have them here:
think you'll be waiting a while for them to drop in price because the factory don't seem to be able to keep up with demand.

Saragan.

Reply to
Saragan

Calm down, calm down... Still a good price for that machine.

New this side of the pond, been around in the US for the best part of ten years according to the Gemstar site. Most major countries in Europe now have it, so hopefully other makers will start producing machines for the European market to use it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice